1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy/Circular Motion and figuring out point charges

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    For the life of me I can't seem to get this problem.

An electrically neutral model airplane is flying in a horizontal circle in a 3m guideline, which is nearly parallel to the floor. The line breaks when the Kinetic energy is 50J. Now, reconsider the same situation, except now there is a point charge of +q and -q on either ends of the guideline. The line now breaks when the KE is 51.8 J. Find the magnitude of the charges.

I tried relating v2 = Fr/m, and equating that to v2=2(KE)/m so Fr/m = 2(deltaKE)/m and got a force of 1.2 N. I figure I have to find the force before I can find the point charge, but I can't seem to find the force. When I worked backward from the solution, the force turned out to be around 7x10(4) N. Which makes more sense. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I completely agree with your derivation of the force change being 1.2N. What is the 'solution'?

4. Feb 3, 2007 #3
    The answer is 3.5x10(-5) C

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get that this charge corresponds to a force of about 1.2N at a distance of 3m. I think the problem is in the "working backwards" part.

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5
    I figured it out. I was dividing by two for some reason, and then realized I had to square root the answer. Thanks for your help :)

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6
    I actually am working on this exact problem and can't figure out what to do. Is there a possibility you could type out the steps of approaching this problem?? That would be great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?