Kites, and really long strings

• Thread starter SteveDB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the speaker reflects on a childhood memory of flying a paper kite attached to a long string with a friend. They are now trying to determine the altitude and horizontal distance of the kite using various components such as the kite and string mass, wind velocities, and atmospheric density. They mention that the kites used in the past were simple compared to modern ones and they provide a mathematical equation for a catenary curve. The speaker also mentions using lighter fishing line for future experiments. The conversation ends with others offering suggestions and reminiscing about similar experiences.
SteveDB
Hi all.
It's been quite a while since I've been here, but I was reminded this morning about my childhood when a friend of mine and I got a hold of a spool of string that was purported to have been 5 miles in length. Thinking about it I think it was probably more like some 5000 feet in length.
Since that was almost 40 years ago, I can't really say that I remember exactly what was going on.
What we did was to attach our paper kite to it-- the kind that existed in the late 1960's-- and let it fly.
I remember it taking some 3 or 4 hours to let it all the way out, and another 5 or 6 to reel it back in. We started out at sunrise, and didn't get done until sunset.
My point for this whole "exercise" is to determine if I can obtain the altitude, and horizontal distance it was from our location.
The primary components that I've been able to identify/remember at this point are:
Kite mass
String mass/unit length
Wind velocities- speed, trajectory/vectors
Initial height would've been 3 feet on my end
Atmospherric density differential due to altitude changes
Length of string/thread.
Area of kite body/face exposed to winds
As stated, this was a simple paper kite kids flew back in the 1960's. For those among you who are younger, go ask your fathers/mothers.
They were made of thin, dyed/colored paper, and light sticks (the kind Charlie Brown flies in the comic strip). Something akin to a pop-sickle stick, but longer, and shaped almost like a dowel. We then connected the top end to a string, and a few inches up from the lower end, to another string. These were then connected at the center of mass to the flight string. This allowed for balanced flight dynamics.
I detail it like this because the kites in existence today are far more advanced, and fancy than we had back then.
I've gone to Wikipedia, and found the discussion they've provided on catenaries. FRom what I remember, a catenary is the natural shape a suspended string takes when attached at both ends.
And the arc length would be (if I remember it correctly): S= Int(Int(sqrt(dx^2/dy^2 + 1)), 0, N, x), 0, M, y) where M, and N are the maximum distances the string could go.
They have a function for y as follows:
y= a* cosh (x/a) = a/2 * (exp(x/a) + exp(-x/a))
Where a = T_o/P
Where T_o is the horizontal component of the tension-- a constant, and P is the weight/unit length.
Sadly, it was a foggy day, and never really cleared up, so I have no idea how far away it got, or how high it went, and I'm curious if it's possible to mathematical solve this to get a general idea.
The kite did however survive, and we used it again the next time we went to play with it. We never did try that one again though. It took too long to do the entire roll.
Strange the things we remember.
Anyone have any ideas as to how I could solve this?
Thanks for your feedback, and responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
We used to do the same thing by just tying 100 ft strings together and letting the kite go. The kite would be several city blocks away and probably several hundred feet high.

One could approximate it by a caternary equation with height as a variable and then use a line integral. Then relate the length of string to the height.

Don't forget that the wind is pushing on the string.

If you were to repeat the experiement, using light monofilament fishing line would work better.

SteveDB said:
... I was reminded this morning about my childhood when a friend of mine and I ...

The primary components that I've been able to identify/remember at this point are:
Kite mass
String mass/unit length
Wind velocities- speed, trajectory/vectors
Initial height would've been 3 feet on my end
Atmospherric density differential due to altitude changes
Length of string/thread.
Area of kite body/face exposed to winds
Let me see if I understand this.

You want a solve a problem from an event from 40 years ago when you were a child, and apparently were able to remember such things as wind velocities, speed, trajectory and vectors?

1. What is the purpose of kites and really long strings?

Kites and really long strings have been used for various purposes throughout history. Some of the most common purposes include recreation, scientific experiments, and aerial photography.

2. How do kites and really long strings stay in the air?

Kites and really long strings stay in the air due to the aerodynamic forces acting on them. When the wind blows against the kite, it creates lift, which is counteracted by the weight of the kite and the tension in the string. This balance allows the kite to stay in the air.

3. What materials are typically used to make kites and really long strings?

Kites can be made from a variety of materials such as paper, fabric, plastic, and even bamboo. The string, also known as the kite line, is usually made from synthetic materials like nylon or polyester, which are strong and lightweight.

4. Can kites and really long strings be dangerous?

Like any activity, there is always a potential for danger. Kites and really long strings can become entangled with power lines or cause injury if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and always fly kites in open spaces away from obstacles.

5. What is the longest kite flight on record and how long was it?

The longest kite flight on record was achieved by Robert Moore in 1997 with a flight time of 180 hours and 17 minutes. The kite used was a very large delta-shaped kite, and the flight took place in the Mojave Desert in California.