Calculating Speed of Kite String Release for 120ft Kite Flight

In summary, a girl flying a kite at a height of 120 feet is being carried away from the girl horizontally by the wind at a speed of 10 feet per second. The string must be let out at a rate that maintains a distance of 150 feet between the girl and the kite. It is assumed that the string forms a straight line between the girl and the kite.
killykilly

Homework Statement

A girl is flying a kite, which is at a height of 120 feet. The wind is carrying the kite horizontally away from the girl at a speed of 10 feet per second. How fast must the kite string be let out when the string is 150 feet long ?

I came from a non english speaking country. I can't understand question well.

Physics news on Phys.org
killykilly said:

Why not try to restate the problem in your own words? Then maybe we can see where your misunderstanding is.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Is this problem really from a physics class? It looks like a calculus problem.
killykilly said:

Homework Statement

A girl is flying a kite, which is at a height of 120 feet. The wind is carrying the kite horizontally away from the girl at a speed of 10 feet per second. How fast must the kite string be let out when the string is 150 feet long ?
"Height" refers to the vertical distance that the kite is above the ground.

How long the string is, would mean the distance between the girl and the kite. Assume that the string forms a straight line between the girl and kite.

1. How do I calculate the speed of kite string release for a 120ft kite flight?

To calculate the speed of kite string release, you will need to know the distance the kite will travel (120ft) and the time it takes for the kite to reach that distance. Use the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the speed of the kite string release.

2. What units should I use to measure the speed of kite string release?

The speed of kite string release can be measured in any unit of distance per unit of time, such as feet per second or meters per hour. It is important to be consistent with the unit of measurement used for both distance and time in order to get an accurate calculation.

3. Can I calculate the speed of kite string release after the kite has already been launched?

Yes, you can still calculate the speed of kite string release after the kite has already been launched. Measure the distance the kite has traveled and the time it took to reach that distance, then use the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the speed of the kite string release.

4. Are there any factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated speed of kite string release?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated speed of kite string release. These include wind speed, air resistance, and the weight and design of the kite. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating the speed of kite string release.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the speed of any kite flight?

While the same formula (speed = distance/time) can be used to calculate the speed of most kite flights, it is important to note that different kites may have different air resistance and weight, which can affect their speed. It is best to take these factors into consideration and adjust the formula accordingly for each kite flight.