Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Know anything about freemasonry?

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    Does anyone here know anything about freemasonry? Do you know any adepts? Should I try joining?

Until I'm proven wrong, all I understand it to be is a social club who gets together and make themselves believe they are better, while making other people (like me) wonder what's going on. But I could be wrong. I just don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Re: Freemasonry

I think joining something more productive like Civil Air Patrol or Coast Guard Auxiliary is a better use of time with far greater rewards and contribution to society.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Anyone I knew of that was a freemason had a family connection prior to initiation.

And from what they've admitted to me, they don't scheme to covertly control world affairs.

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

Nah... freemasonry is mostly about charities and stuff. I'd say there are good lessons to be learnt. It all depends where you join and what type it is as well... I mean some are no different than going to sunday church.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5

No, I don't think you're wrong about their secretive ways making others feel lesser or left out. There's something not quite write about that.

I'm with cronhex. Help out your community by volunteering at the fire department, police department or one of the many outstanding and much needed community service activities available in your area (meals on wheels...). Tons of opportunities!

7. Aug 18, 2010 #6

I'd love to get some free masonry done to my house.

8. Aug 18, 2010 #7

Join the illuminati instead.

9. Aug 18, 2010 #8

There's really nothing secretive about Freemasonry. Anyone can join and if you wanted you could probably even arrange to go to a meeting to see what it's like. Perhaps people have read too many Dan Brown books?

To be a freemason all you have to do is ask one.

10. Aug 19, 2010 #9

Danger

Gold Member

With no insult intended toward anyone who has posted, Freemasonry as originally established is a religious cult. Extrapolate that in any way that you care to.

11. Aug 19, 2010 #10

Have a read of dans browns the lost symbol, talks about the freemasons and their beleives quite alot in their.

12. Aug 19, 2010 #11

This is my understanding as well, and that there is an interviewing process to be accepted.

13. Aug 19, 2010 #12

My understanding is that this has changed. A friend and myself considered joining. The sticking point to us is that membership requires one to believe in a higher being (some sort of god).

EDIT: Actually it appears that if you are Catholic, you will be excommunicated once you join the masons. The wikipedia entry is an interesting read (the usual disclaimer applies here).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. Aug 19, 2010 #13

So what are the perks of being a free mason?
    I want to be excommunicated. I want something interesting to talk about with people I meet, because right now I have nothing.

15. Aug 19, 2010 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

Hehe. Start off with a mosque being built around ground zero and casually shift the conversation to Catholic churches being built around playgrounds :rofl:

16. Aug 19, 2010 #15

Danger

Gold Member

So talk about PF. You'll find discussions of just about every topic here, with the benefit that they are moderated in such a way as to weed out ********. There are heated debates, of course, but when a topic reaches the point of losing civility, it is shut down. Why embrace something that you don't believe in just to have a point of conversation? There are too many real issues in the world to deal with.

edit: Damn, Cronxeh... how do you keep sneaking in on me like that? (By the way, :rofl: for the playground reference.)

17. Aug 19, 2010 #16

This point actually allows members of different religious backgrounds to join. As opinion or belief about a Creator differ, the solution was not to speak of a Creator, and keep such opinions or beliefs private.

18. Aug 19, 2010 #17

That is more than a little disingenuous and fundamentally against my moral code. Why would I join an organization and pretend to be something that I am not?

19. Aug 19, 2010 #18

But tell me how cool it would be to be able to say to someone "So yeah, I was excommunicated because I joined the Free Masons."
    Right now all I can say is I was kicked out of a gaming store because I was making fun of a short kid with a pituitary problem.

20. Aug 19, 2010 #19

This is a degrading and very horrible joke. You should be ashamed of yourself.

21. Aug 19, 2010 #20

If you are Christian and a Freemason, you are still a Christian. or Catholic, or Jew, or a member of whatever religion you are of, you simply do not discuss the Creator among other members.

My understanding of it from speaking with a 32nd degree Mason.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook