1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronecker sum of more than two matrices?

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question arises from this quote from wikipedia's article about kronecker product:

Kronecker sums appear naturally in physics when considering ensembles of non-interacting systems. Let Hi be the Hamiltonian of the i-th such system. Then the total Hamiltonian of the ensemble is
    c2e0b6679eb0d88a8ec2d35a7d1a448f.png

I have to write this Htot as a ordinary sum over kronecker products of unity matrix and Hi-s.

2. Relevant equations

Kronecker sum for two matrices is defined as

3f1676452a4f1311f5d7a165e319b184.png

If A is n × n, B is m × m and Ik denotes the k × k identity matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, as I undesratnd, now instead of A and B we have simply Hi and there should be sum kind of sum over i. But the Kronecker sum is defined only for a pair of matrices and it isn't commutative, so the order is important. I tried something like this, for three H-s:

upload_2015-2-27_12-59-47.png

But it doesn't look very elegant and I have no idea if this could be true. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2
    The definition is as follows

c2e0b6679eb0d88a8ec2d35a7d1a448f.png

[tex] H_{\text{Tot}} =\left( H_1 \otimes \mathbb{I} \otimes \mathbb{I} \otimes ... \right)+ \left(\mathbb{I} \otimes H_2 \otimes \mathbb{I} \otimes ... \right) + \left(\mathbb{I} \otimes \mathbb{I} \otimes H_3 \otimes ... \right) + ...[/tex]

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    Are you sure? Thank you!

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    Proof:
    Kronecker sum is associative.

In other words.
    The Kronecker sum of two matrices is, as you wrote,
    [tex] X=A\oplus B = A\otimes\mathbb{I}_B + \mathbb{I}_A\otimes{B} [/tex]

Now, since the sum ##A\oplus B## is a matrix, ##X##, the Kronecker sum
    [tex] Y= X\oplus C = X\otimes\mathbb{I}_C + \mathbb{I}_X\otimes C = (A\otimes\mathbb{I}_B + \mathbb{I}_A\otimes{B})\otimes\mathbb{I}_C + \mathbb{I}_X\otimes{C} [/tex]
    Of course ##\mathbb{I}_X=\mathbb{I}_A\otimes\mathbb{I}_B##, which gives
    [tex] Y= A\otimes\mathbb{I}_B\otimes\mathbb{I}_C + \mathbb{I}_A\otimes B\otimes\mathbb{I}_C + \mathbb{I}_A\otimes\mathbb{I}_B\otimes{C} [/tex]

##Z= Y\oplus D = ## Keep going... :)

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted