Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem?

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem!???

I just took a Cal. II test and used the Limit comparison test on one of my series. Here it is:

/ n^2/(n^3 +sqrt(n^(9)+1))

sorry if it looks hard to read. I compared it to 1/n. And it diverged. The teachers said I must compare it to n^2/n^(9/2). NOw doing it this way makes the series in question converge!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Remember the LCT says that if you have two series a and b, and lim(n->infinity) a(n)/b(n)=s where s>0 and finite, then either "both a and b converge" or "both a and b diverge".

What did you get for s when you did this limit and compared to 1/n? I'm guessing you got 0 or infinity (depending on which series is on top and bottom in the ratio)? This is what I get looking at your series and 1/n. The LCT does not apply when s is 0 or infinity... so we can't conclude that since 1/n diverges the given series diverges also.

The trick is to pick a series so that when you take the ratio and then the limit, you get a finite value>0.

Its been a while since I've done this stuff. Hope this helps. :smile:
  4. Dec 8, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

learningphysics is completely correct.

A little more detail: It is clear that, for large n, [itex]\frac{n^2}{n^3+\sqrt{n^9+1}}< \frac{1}{n}[/itex].

Unfortunately since [itex]\Sigma \frac{1}{x}[/itex] diverges that tells you nothing about whether [itex]\Sigma\frac{n^2}{n^3+\sqrt{n^9+1}}[/itex] converges or diverges. You would need to show that your terms are larger than a series that diverges to know that it diverges or smaller than a series that converges to know that it converges.
  5. Dec 8, 2004 #4
    I get 1/2!!!!!! I will show my work! I still believe that they both diverge.

Here it goes: Let an = n^2/(n^3 + sqrt(n^(9)+1); Let bn= 1/n.

Now: (step 1) | n^2 * n |

lim n->infinity | n^3 + sqrt(n^(9) +1) * 1 |

(step 2) | n^3*(1) |

| n^3 + sqrt(n^9(1+1/n^9))|

lim n->infinity

(step 3) |n^3*(1)|

| n^3(1+sqrt(1+1/n^9))|

lim n-> infinity

(step 4)

| 1|
    ___ = 1/2!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!
    | 1+ sqrt(1)|

<ps. sorry the divide signs would not show>
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  6. Dec 9, 2004 #5
    Can anyone explain this contradiction? I would like to believe that their are no contradicitons in the realm of mathematics. Yet, I have not seem one statement that requires one to pick the test function be the highest powers found from the series in question. With that said, I wanted my test function to be 1/n.

Any ideas?
  7. Dec 10, 2004 #6

In step 3 I beleive it was, you took sqrt(n^9) to be n^3. This is wrong. You don't take the squareroot of the 9, you halve it, so the limit comparing to 1/n is 0, and the limit comparison test does not work for 1/n.

Since the greatest power in the numerator is 2, and the greatest in the denominator is 9/2, you must compare to 1/n^(5.2), as your teacher said, in which case you will find it to converge.
  8. Dec 11, 2004 #7
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! You are the best!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?