L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem?

• Thread starter karen03grae
  • Start date
In summary, L.C.T. misgraded Cal. Problem!? Karen used the Limit comparison test on one of her series and it diverged. She needs to compare it to n^2/n^(9/2), which is what the LCT says to do, in order to check for convergence. However, when she did this, she got 0 or infinity (depending on which series was on top and bottom in the ratio), which means the given series diverges.
karen03grae
L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem!?

HEy!

I just took a Cal. II test and used the Limit comparison test on one of my series. Here it is:

infinity
_
\
/ n^2/(n^3 +sqrt(n^(9)+1))
_
n=1

sorry if it looks hard to read. I compared it to 1/n. And it diverged. The teachers said I must compare it to n^2/n^(9/2). NOw doing it this way makes the series in question converge!

THE QUESTION IS WHY CAN'T I USE 1/N TO CHECK FOR CONVERGENCE USING THE LCT? Thanx, Karen

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the LCT says that if you have two series a and b, and lim(n->infinity) a(n)/b(n)=s where s>0 and finite, then either "both a and b converge" or "both a and b diverge".

What did you get for s when you did this limit and compared to 1/n? I'm guessing you got 0 or infinity (depending on which series is on top and bottom in the ratio)? This is what I get looking at your series and 1/n. The LCT does not apply when s is 0 or infinity... so we can't conclude that since 1/n diverges the given series diverges also.

The trick is to pick a series so that when you take the ratio and then the limit, you get a finite value>0.

Its been a while since I've done this stuff. Hope this helps. :smile:

learningphysics is completely correct.

A little more detail: It is clear that, for large n, [itex]\frac{n^2}{n^3+\sqrt{n^9+1}}< \frac{1}{n}[/itex].

Unfortunately since [itex]\Sigma \frac{1}{x}[/itex] diverges that tells you nothing about whether [itex]\Sigma\frac{n^2}{n^3+\sqrt{n^9+1}}[/itex] converges or diverges. You would need to show that your terms are larger than a series that diverges to know that it diverges or smaller than a series that converges to know that it converges.

I get 1/2! I will show my work! I still believe that they both diverge.

Here it goes: Let an = n^2/(n^3 + sqrt(n^(9)+1); Let bn= 1/n.

Now: (step 1) | n^2 * n |

lim n->infinity | n^3 + sqrt(n^(9) +1) * 1 |

(step 2) | n^3*(1) |

| n^3 + sqrt(n^9(1+1/n^9))|

lim n->infinity

(step 3) |n^3*(1)|

| n^3(1+sqrt(1+1/n^9))|

lim n-> infinity

(step 4)

| 1|
___ = 1/2! AHHHHH!
| 1+ sqrt(1)|

<ps. sorry the divide signs would not show>

Last edited:
Can anyone explain this contradiction? I would like to believe that their are no contradicitons in the realm of mathematics. Yet, I have not seem one statement that requires one to pick the test function be the highest powers found from the series in question. With that said, I wanted my test function to be 1/n.

Any ideas?

Simple

In step 3 I believe it was, you took sqrt(n^9) to be n^3. This is wrong. You don't take the squareroot of the 9, you halve it, so the limit comparing to 1/n is 0, and the limit comparison test does not work for 1/n.

Since the greatest power in the numerator is 2, and the greatest in the denominator is 9/2, you must compare to 1/n^(5.2), as your teacher said, in which case you will find it to converge.

Thank you Thank you Thank you! You are the best!

What is L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem?

L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem refers to a common issue in the scientific community where laboratory calibration tests (L.C.T.) are not accurately graded, leading to incorrect data and results.

How does L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem impact scientific research?

L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem can greatly impact scientific research by leading to incorrect conclusions and potentially wasting time and resources. It can also damage the credibility of the research and the scientists involved.

What causes L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem?

L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as human error, faulty equipment, or improper calibration procedures. It can also be a result of inadequate training or lack of attention to detail.

How can L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem be prevented?

To prevent L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem, it is important to have properly trained and experienced individuals conducting the calibration tests. Regular maintenance and calibration of equipment is also crucial. Double-checking and verifying results can also help catch any potential misgrading.

What steps should be taken if L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem is suspected?

If L.C.T. Misgraded Cal. Problem is suspected, it is important to review and re-evaluate the data and results. The calibration process should be repeated and any potential errors should be identified and corrected. If necessary, the research should be replicated to ensure accurate results.