1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab concerning Inverters experiement

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    I have to conduct a lab concerning inverters. I'm using a 7404 hex inverter IC, 6 LED's with 150Ω resisters, and 1 logic switch. Can someone tone it down a little bit so I can undersetand what the lab is wanting me to do? And what does the image on the second page show (Figure 3-7 and 3-8)?

For table 3-6: 1, 0 going down. Questions: (2.) 0 (3.) 0 (4.) logical 1 (5.) Boolean expression not A means A is inverted.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All you're doing is wiring up the LED's and 7404 so that every other LED is lit. In switch position 1, LED's 1, 3 and 5 light. In position 2, LED's 2, 4 & 6 light.

Not really comparable in difficulty to the Millikan oil drop experiment .... :-)

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3

lewando

Gold Member

Your answer to question 4 assumes a logical 1 input. You could say that the logical state of the output will be the logical state of the input.

The images are schematic diagrams which show 2 circuit configurations. I see an input terminal for a switch, an inverter, a LED, and a resistor on the first diagram, same on the second diagram, but with multiple inverters and LEDs. The numbers near the input and output of each inverter give you a reference to a specific pin on the IC.

You should familiarize yourself with the datasheet: http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/74HC04.REV1.PDF

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook