1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange again :facepalm:

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Seems straightforward enough, Lagrangian optimization

2. Relevant equations
    Find the max of x^-1 + y^-1 subject to the constraint m=x+y

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought no problems, x*=y*=m/2, however:

Using the Lagrangian formula yields derivatives as follows:
    wrt x: -x^-2 - lambda
    wrt y: -y^-2 - lambda
    lambda: m-x-y

Putting the coefficients into a bordered Hessian seems to give a positive def. matrix implying a minimum? Is this a trick question or is it possible to maximize?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, x=y=(1/2) is a local minimum. You can also just use your constraint to eliminate y in 1/x+1/y and graph it as a function of x. As x ranges over all possible values you can see there is no global max or global min. There are vertical asymptotes.
  4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply, you are making sense to me. I'm still confused as to why I was asked to maximize it, when there are no maximum points?
  5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Typo? Always a possibility.
  6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    I'm thinking you are probably right.

On an exam no less :S.

Guess I should have known better. Thanks again.
  7. Sep 9, 2010 #6
    Although, I've been reading that extreme values can occur at endpoints, stationary points, and singular points. So obviously this function has some singular points, but I do not know enough to go any further.

Could there be a max at the asymptotes?
  8. Sep 9, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said, graph 1/x+1/(m-x) to see what the function looks like. Yes, it's singular at x=0 and x=m. No maxes there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook