1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation question

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    Hey,

I'm having trouble with part (d) of the question displayed below:

tmst.png

I reckon I'm doing the θ Euler-Lagrange equation wrong, I get :

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}})-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(m_{1}r^{2}\dot{\theta})=0[/tex]

and for the 'r' EL equation I get:

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}})-\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}=m_{1}\ddot{r}+m_{2}\ddot{r}-m_{1}r\dot{\theta}^{2}-m_{2}g=0[/tex]

In the theta equation I was originally just differentiating the theta with repsects to time, but the r^2 term also has a time dependence, I tried doing this and didn't know where to go from there... I'll have another go.

Any comments are appreciated,
    Thanks,
    SK

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From ##\frac{d}{dt} m_1 r^2 \dot\theta = 0## you can conclude that ##m_1 r^2 \dot\theta = k##.

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Thanks

Thanks I'll go and try that and see where that leads me, I think I tried this before but was obviously doing something wrong as the force wasn't central in the end...

Cheers!
    SK

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted