Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation question

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving the Euler-Lagrange equation and the speaker is having trouble with part (d). They provide their attempts at solving the equations and ask for comments. The other person suggests using the fact that ##m_1 r^2 \dot\theta = k## and the speaker decides to try this approach. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person and stating that they will try this suggestion.
Sekonda
Hey,

I'm having trouble with part (d) of the question displayed below:

tmst.png

I reckon I'm doing the θ Euler-Lagrange equation wrong, I get :

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}})-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(m_{1}r^{2}\dot{\theta})=0[/tex]

and for the 'r' EL equation I get:

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}})-\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}=m_{1}\ddot{r}+m_{2}\ddot{r}-m_{1}r\dot{\theta}^{2}-m_{2}g=0[/tex]

In the theta equation I was originally just differentiating the theta with repsects to time, but the r^2 term also has a time dependence, I tried doing this and didn't know where to go from there... I'll have another go.

Any comments are appreciated,
Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
From ##\frac{d}{dt} m_1 r^2 \dot\theta = 0## you can conclude that ##m_1 r^2 \dot\theta = k##.

Thanks

Thanks I'll go and try that and see where that leads me, I think I tried this before but was obviously doing something wrong as the force wasn't central in the end...

Cheers!
SK

FAQ: Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation question

What is the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation are mathematical tools used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system of particles. The Lagrangian is a function that contains information about the kinetic and potential energies of the system, while the Euler-Lagrange equation is a differential equation that is used to find the equations of motion for the system.

What is the difference between the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation are closely related, but they serve different purposes. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the energy of a system, while the Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical tool that is used to find the equations of motion for the system.

What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation in physics?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system of particles. It allows us to find the equations of motion for a system based on the energies involved, making it a powerful and widely used equation in physics.

How do you solve an Euler-Lagrange equation?

The general method for solving an Euler-Lagrange equation is to first write down the Lagrangian for the system, then take the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the variables involved. This will result in a set of differential equations, which can then be solved to find the equations of motion for the system.

What are some applications of the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation have a wide range of applications in physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. They are used to describe the motion of particles, the behavior of systems, and the interactions between particles and fields. They are also used in engineering and other fields to model and analyze various systems.