Lagrangian sought for given conservation law

In summary, the Lagrangian sought for given conservation "law" is most likely a unique one that respects the given conservation law.
birulami
Lagrangian sought for given conservation "law"

Reading about the Lagrangian and conservation laws, I was wondering if, given the conservation law

[tex]|\dot{x(t)}| = const[/tex]

where [itex]x[/itex] is an n-dimensional vector, we can find the Lagrangian [itex]L(t, x(t), \dot{x(t)})[/itex] that produces this conservation law via the action integral's minimum or maximum?

Note that a constant absolute velocity does not mean the particle has to go in a straight line. It only means that any acceleration is always strictly orthogonal to [itex]\dot{x}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org

Another way to put it, would be to ask for the Lagrangian which leads to the conservation of momentum absolute value, i.e.
[tex](1)\qquad |p| = const [/tex]
which is different to the usual law of conservation of momentum coordinate-wise:
[tex](2)\qquad p_\mu = const \; \forall \mu = 1..N[/tex]
(2) requires that the Lagrangian [itex]L[/itex] is independent of spatial translation, and then (1) of course follows as a consequence.

I would expect that for (1) to hold but not (2) we would have a less strict independence rule.

You could use Noether's theorem to think further about this. The conserved quantity is the generator of the one-parameter subgroup of the system's symmetry group that leads to this conservation law. Thus, you should check, which transformations your conserved quantitity generates and then think about the most general Hamiltonian (or Lagrangian) that preserves this symmetry.

EDIT: Forgive me: the constraint you've listed is (second-order! :eek:) nonholonomic. The techniques I pointed out, of course, won't work for a nonholonomic constraint.

My erroneous response was:
I hope this isn't an overly flippant reply, but here are some suggestions, both of which essentially reduce to thinking about the "conservation law" as a "kinematical constraint" and then using the standard techniques:

1. Use Lagrange multipliers to enforce the constraint

2. Use generalized coordinates that implicitly respect the constraint (like, say, have two of the coordinates be the direction of the vector x-dot, and don't have a coordinate for its length)

You'll certainly find that there will not be a unique Lagrangian respecting that conservation law, of course.

Last edited:

Well, actually I was hoping that a langrangian for [itex]|v|=const[/itex] is (well) known. and was just curious to see it. Working with Noether's theorem will be tough, since just know I try to work my way through Neuenschwander's book "Emmy Noether's wonderful theorem".

Nevertheless thanks for the possiblel recipes.

1. What is Lagrangian?

Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. It is used in classical mechanics to determine the equations of motion for a system.

2. What is a conservation law?

A conservation law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, remain constant in a closed system. This means that they cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms.

3. Why is a Lagrangian sought for a given conservation law?

A Lagrangian is sought for a given conservation law because it allows us to determine the equations of motion for a system in a more elegant and efficient way than using Newton's laws of motion. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles governing the system.

4. How is a Lagrangian found for a given conservation law?

A Lagrangian can be found using the principle of least action, where the action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. By varying the action with respect to the generalized coordinates, we can obtain the equations of motion that satisfy the given conservation law.

5. What are some applications of Lagrangian and conservation laws in science?

Lagrangian and conservation laws have numerous applications in science, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and field theory. They are also used in various engineering fields, such as aerospace, robotics, and control systems, to analyze and design complex systems.