Can I Generate Energy from Lakes to Clean and Revitalize My Backyard?

In summary: I worry about the life expectancy of a water turbine too, but it's still worth considering.In summary, you could convert the pressure underneath a lake around 30 feet deep and another lake that's 10 feet deep to run a boiler and then used to clean the old moldy unclean lake.
nduka-san said:
OH i completely missundrstood it ok then what would u recommend doing then for the lakes and ponds with no entryways but water ripples
If you have water ripples, you have wind. If you have wind, the best choice is to harvest that directly. Put up a wind mill and use it to charge some batteries. Use the batteries to power your boiling apparatus.

A quick trip to Google finds that these are commercially available. Search phrase "wind turbine" or "wind charger".

Physics news on Phys.org
what about one with flowing water instead the main point of the challenge is that its water based

nduka-san said:
what about one with flowing water instead the main point of the challenge is that its water based
If the water in the inlet flows downhill, you run it through a turbine and harvest power.
If the water in the outlet flows downhill, you run it through a turbine and harvest power.

If the water in the lake flows at an appreciable rate you install a turbine and harvest power. However, one of the defining features of a lake is that the flow velocity within the lake is negligible. Otherwise it is called a "river".

You can google for "penstock".

nduka-san said:
As jbriggs points out, from your descriptions, you don't seem to have water flow.

jbriggs444 said:
It's just that instead of confining the water that's been raised to the place it was raised to, they confined the water that's been raised to stay out of the place it was raised from.
Not to derail an otherwise scintillating thread, but it's pretty ingenious. One of the big constraints and efficiency hogs on pumped hydro is that it tends to use a lot of water at low pressure. By "harnessing" the pressure at depth, it can store a smaller amount of water at much higher pressure differential, for the same energy storage. And high pressure, low flow is more efficient than low pressure, high flow.

The downside, though, is that you still need fairly large storage vessels to store a lot of energy.

look at what happens when you put a ferris wheel under water

nduka-san said:
look at what happens when you put a ferris wheel under water

What on Earth are you talking about? This thread seems to be turning into a bunch of random combinations of machinery and water. Do you have a question? If so, think about it carefully and please write a complete description so it can be answered.

Likes jbriggs444
I'm using it as an example as it will keep on moving like a turbine that's what I'm trying to use like a circular turbine that is turned by water pressure that way it keeps on moving

nduka-san said:
im using it as an example as it it will keep on moving like a turbine that's what I'm trying o use
No. It will not keep on moving. It would come to a stop in a matter of seconds.

jbriggs444 said:
No. It will not keep on moving. It would come to a stop in a matter of seconds.
what would you recommend doing then

nduka-san said:
what would ou recommend doing then
You could stop tilting at windmills.

• Haha
Likes davenn, DaveC426913, hutchphd and 2 others
jbriggs444 said:
You could stop tilting at windmills.
ok that's true its more based upon a water turbine

*WHOOSH*

[The sound of an allusion flying by without being captured]

Likes Averagesupernova, davenn and Vanadium 50
nani?

Likes russ_watters
the description of the plan for it is to have a water turbine underneath the water for a unclean pond or river than using a turbine some turbines i was thinking of modeling are these two but on a smaller scale
1607099103791.png
1607099158841.png

Those work with flowing water. As far as I can tell, you don't have running water.

Likes Vanadium 50 and jbriggs444
ok then what would u suggest for a pond

nduka-san said:
Unless you've got flowing water, nothing. There's no way to extract work from it.

nduka-san said:
A diesel generator.

Likes Ibix
Ibix said:
Unless you've got flowing water, nothing. There's no way to extract work from it.
There are some approaches that could yield results. Though a $1000 budget may preclude some of these.

Use the pond as a heat source for a heat engine if you can find a colder heat sink somewhere.
Use the pond as a heat sink for a heat engine if you can find a warmer heat source somewhere.
Use the pond as both source and sink and tap the differential set up by evaporation or solar heating.
Lay solar cells on top of the lily pads.
Or a https://www.boatid.com/echomax/aquamate-inflatable-solar-still-desalinator-mpn-emamssm.html?view=536489&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOe5BWaU681s1iisTMTy-SxvCYnMeZrjH3m6RkI-4z7UbnovMBZqlToaAlmgEALw_wcB (estimated 5000 years to distill a pond at 2 liters per day).
Tap the power in the tiny ripples created by the wind.
Build a fusion reactor and use the hydrogen in the water to power it.
Stop the Earth's rotation for a while and tap the rotational kinetic energy in the pond water.
Start the Earth's rotation again and tap the Earth's kinetic energy as the pond spins it down a bit.
Sell boat rides and buy electricity.

Edit: We've ruled out a plain old wind turbine. But if we built a boat, put a windmill on the boat and used it to power a propeller to move around the lake, we could have excess electrical power that we could use to boil water. And we could still sell the rides.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
jbriggs444 said:
There are some approaches that could yield results.
I think "covering it with solar cells" and "selling boat rides" are the only ones that might yield appreciable power.

Likes davenn, russ_watters and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
There are some approaches that could yield results. Though a $1000 budget may preclude some of these.

Use the pond as a heat source for a heat engine if you can find a colder heat sink somewhere.
Use the pond as a heat sink for a heat engine if you can find a warmer heat source somewhere.
Use the pond as both source and sink and tap the differential set up by evaporation or solar heating.
Lay solar cells on top of the lily pads.
Or a https://www.boatid.com/echomax/aquamate-inflatable-solar-still-desalinator-mpn-emamssm.html?view=536489&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOe5BWaU681s1iisTMTy-SxvCYnMeZrjH3m6RkI-4z7UbnovMBZqlToaAlmgEALw_wcB (estimated 5000 years to distill a pond at 2 liters per day).
Tap the power in the tiny ripples created by the wind.
Build a fusion reactor and use the hydrogen in the water to power it.
Stop the Earth's rotation for a while and tap the rotational kinetic energy in the pond water.
Start the Earth's rotation again and tap the Earth's kinetic energy as the pond spins it down a bit.
Sell boat rides and buy electricity.

Edit: We've ruled out a plain old wind turbine. But if we built a boat, put a windmill on the boat and used it to power a propeller to move around the lake, we could have excess electrical power that we could use to boil water. And we could still sell the rides.
wow I turn off my notifications and you guys came up with great stuff thanks

for the ripples how much energy would that give (I know its not a lot)