Lamor precession and diamagnetism

In summary, the Larmor precession requires a magnetic moment, a homogeneous magnetic field, and a slight misalignment between the two. The torque from this movement causes a constant angular velocity, but the concept of diamagnetism adds confusion as it means the material creates a magnetic field in opposition to the external one. However, just as friction always opposes an applied force, the electrons will try to return to their original orientation, resulting in a weak contribution to the material's response. This phenomenon is known as diamagnetism and is overpowered in materials with other forms of magnetism. While diamagnetic materials do not produce detectable signals, it is possible to excite the electrons/protons at certain frequencies.
Gavroy
i have some troubles to understand the lamor precession properly and i need your help to correct my errors:

so in order to get the lamor precession: afaik you need something that causes a magnetic moment, e.g. an electron with spin or angular momentum.

then you need a homogenous magnetic field and it is necessary, that the direction of the field and the direction of the magnetic moment are not exactly the same if you want to measure at least something.

now, there is a torque, that leads to this movement with constant angular velocity
is this right so far?

but: at this point i heard, that it has something to do with diamagnetism and this is what actually confuses me.

diamagnetism means, that the body creates a magnetic field that is opposed to the external magnetic field.

but if this torque that is caused by the lamor precession leads to an additional magnetic field, how do you know, that it is always opposed to the external one?

and which equation gives me the internal magnetic field, that is caused by the lamor precession?

sorry for my english, i am still practising.

Physics news on Phys.org
English: is good, I understand your questions just fine.

You mean Larmor precession.

Try reading here: do you understand vector equations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_precession

Also note the APPLICATIONS links near the end of the article.

diamagnetism...how do you know, that it is always opposed to the external one?

just as you know friction always opposes an applied force...so electrons will try to return to their original orientation which is in opposition to the applied external magnetic field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

Diamagnetism is a very general phenomenon, because all electrons, including the electrons of an atom, will always make a weak contribution to the material's response. However, for materials that show some other form of magnetism (such as ferromagnetism or paramagnetism), the diamagnetism is completely overpowered. Substances that mostly display diamagnetic behaviour are termed diamagnetic materials, or diamagnets

Diamagnetic resonance

Can the electrons/protons of a diamagnetic material be resonated? I understand that you cannot detect a signal from diamagnetic materials because the signals from each electron cancel each other out. However, can the electrons/protons be excited at certain frequencies just like hydrogen (one proton) in MRI?

What is the Lamor precession?

The Lamor precession is a phenomenon in which the spin of a charged particle, such as an electron, precesses or rotates in a magnetic field. It is named after physicist Alfred Lamor who first described it in the early 20th century.

What is diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism is a type of magnetism exhibited by certain materials, such as copper, gold, and silver, that causes them to create a weak magnetic field in opposition to an applied magnetic field. This results in the material being repelled by the magnet.

How are Lamor precession and diamagnetism related?

Lamor precession is a key factor in the phenomenon of diamagnetism. When a material is placed in a magnetic field, the electrons in the material experience the Lamor precession, causing them to create a magnetic field in opposition to the applied field. This results in the material being repelled by the magnet, exhibiting diamagnetism.

What are some real-world applications of Lamor precession and diamagnetism?

Lamor precession and diamagnetism have various applications in both scientific research and everyday life. For example, they are used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create detailed images of the body, as well as in the construction of levitating trains and magnetic bearings in machinery.

Are there any materials that do not exhibit diamagnetism?

Yes, there are materials that do not exhibit diamagnetism, such as ferromagnetic materials (e.g. iron, cobalt, and nickel) and paramagnetic materials (e.g. aluminum, platinum, and oxygen). These materials have a stronger response to an applied magnetic field and are either attracted or slightly repelled by the magnet.