Landau Quantization: Classical Particle Motion in a Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary: I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I just asked you if you could calculate the curl of the A you had posted.In summary, I am very confused by this problem. I don't understand what the trajectory should look like, how to evaluate the action, or what the Lagrangian is.
Yes, this would be [itex]x(t)[/itex] that you need to substitute in the above expression and integrate again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating my Lagrangian[itex] L = (m/2)[(v_{0})^2 +1] - (q/c)B[(x_{0} - \frac{v_{0}}{\omega} sin(t\omega)][-(v_{0})sin(t\omega)][/itex]

Gives

[itex]S(t) = [(m(v_{0})^2)/2]\Delta t -

(q/c)B[\frac{(v_{0})x_{0}}{\omega}](cos(\omega t_{1}) - cos(\omega t_{0})) -

(q/c)B[\frac{(v_{0})^2}{\omega}]((t_{1})/2 - \frac{sin(2\omega t_{1})}{4\omega} - (t_{0})/2) + \frac{sin(2\omega t_{0})}{4\omega}[/itex]

This looks more complicated than it should be..

Ok, do this first:

Take the lagrangian:

[tex]
L = \frac{m v^{2}_{0}}{2} \, \left(v^{2}_{x} + v^{2}_{y} \right) - \frac{q B}{c} \, x \, v_{y}
[/tex]

substitute:

[tex]
\begin{array}{rcl}
v_{x} & = & v_{0} \, \cos{(\omega \, t)} \\

v_{y} & = & -v_{0} \, \sin{(\omega \, t)} \\

x & = & \frac{v_{0}}{\omega} \, \sin{(\omega t)}
[/tex]

and perform integration from 0 to t, by keeping in mind that:

[tex]
\omega = \frac{q \, B}{m \, c}
[/tex]

What is the lagrangian as a function of t?

What is the integral of this from 0 to t?

Last edited:
I get that [itex]L=(v_{0})^2[\frac{m}{2} + (sin(\omega t)^2)[/itex]

Have I done anything stupid so far?

First of all, your equation is dimensionally inconsistent. In the large parentheses, the first term has a dimension of mass, and the second term is dimensionless.

All I did was cancel the omega in the x term and the omega in the [itex]v_{y}[/itex] term, which I got from plugging in the provided equations.

Sigh. How did I manage to mess THAT up?

The vector potential term from the Lagrangian has the product:

[tex]
x v_{x} = \frac{v_{0}}{\omega} \, \sin{(\omega t)} \, v_{0} \, \cos{(\omega t)} = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{\omega} \sin{(\omega t)} \, \cos{(\omega t)}
[/tex]

using the double angle formula:

[tex]
\sin{(2 \alpha)} = 2 \, \sin{(\alpha)} \, \cos{(\alpha)}
[/tex]

this product can be further simplified as:

[tex]
\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2 \omega} \, \sin{(2 \omega t)}
[/tex]

However, this product is also multiplied by [itex]q \, B/c[/itex] in the Lagrangian. Using the definition of the cyclotron frequency [itex]\omega = q \, B/(m \, c)[/itex], what is:

[tex]
\frac{q B}{\omega c} = ?
[/tex]

The kinetic energy term has the sum of squares:

[tex]
v^{2}_{x} + v^{2}_{y} = ?
[/tex]

What is this sum equal to? What is it multiplied by in the Lagrangian?

Last edited:
[tex]
\frac{q B}{\omega c} = ?
[/tex][itex]\frac{qB}{\omega c} = \frac{qBmc}{Bc} = qm[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
v^{2}_{x} + v^{2}_{y} = ((v_{0})^2)((cos(\omega t))^2 + (sin(\omega t))^2) = ((v_{0})^2)
[/tex]

This is then multiplied by [tex] \frac{m}{2} [/tex]

Whaddya mean?

Sonny Liston said:
[tex]
\frac{q B}{\omega c} = ?
[/tex]

[itex]\frac{qB}{\omega c} = \frac{qBmc}{Bc} = qm[/tex]
This is incorrect.

Sonny Liston said:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
v^{2}_{x} + v^{2}_{y} = ((v_{0})^2)((cos(\omega t))^2 + (sin(\omega t))^2) = ((v_{0})^2)
[/tex]

This is then multiplied by [tex] \frac{m}{2} [/tex]
This is correct.

I didn't see the charge term in the original cyclotron frequency. In that case, we don't get qm, we get m.

Sonny Liston said:
I didn't see the charge term in the original cyclotron frequency. In that case, we don't get qm, we get m.

Yes. So, what is the final expression for the Lagrangian L?

[tex]L = \frac{m(v_{0})^2}{2} - \frac{m(v_{0})^2}{2\omega}sin(2t\omega)[/tex]

Sonny Liston said:
[tex]L = \frac{m(v_{0})^2}{2} - \frac{m(v_{0})^2}{2\omega}sin(2t\omega)[/tex]

Where did the extra [itex]\omega[/itex] come from in the second term? C'mon man. Concentrate on your algebra. This is taking too long.

[tex] S(t) = [\frac{m((v_{0})^2)}{2}]t + [\frac{m((v_{0})^2)}{2}]\frac{(cos(2t\omega) + 1}{2\omega} [/tex]

Extra omega eliminated here. Sorry about that.

(Again, you kept an extra [itex]\omega[/itex] in the second term.) I see you corrected that.

Also:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{t}{\sin{(2 \omega t)} \, dt} = -\left.\frac{1}{2 \omega} \, \cos{(\omega t)}\right|^{t}_{0} = \frac{1}{2\omega} \, \left[1 - \cos{(2 \omega t)}\right]
[/tex]

Finally, what will be the change in S during one period (take [itex]t = 2\pi/\omega[/itex] in the above formula)?

[tex] 1 - cos (2 \omega \frac{(2\pi}{\omega}) = 0[/tex], so it is appropriately periodic.

No, the first term is proportional to [itex]t[/itex] and is not periodic.

Assuming that's satisfactory, may I ask you one last quick question (you are a saint, by the way. I have been unbelievably useless throughout this.) How would I go about evaluating the magnetic flux through the classical trajectory as a function of the energy?

In case you're wondering about my remarkable ignorance, I'm a math student who never took classical mechanics and is in a quantum course, so all the classical mechanics stuff is new to me. Thanks again.

What does the trajectory look like? What are its dimensions in terms of the quantities we have already defined? What is the magnetic flux from a homogeneous magnetic field perpendicular through a contour?

In my notes, I have that it is given by [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\oint A dx[/tex], and the baby E&M book I am looking at says that it can be given by the Area of the surface dotted with the B field times cos(theta), for theta the angle between the B field and the surface.

But since the B field is homogeneous in the z-direction, [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and cos=0, so something must be really flawed in my reasoning.

Sonny Liston said:
In my notes, I have that it is given by [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\oint A dx[/tex], and the baby E&M book I am looking at says that it can be given by the Area of the surface dotted with the B field times cos(theta), for theta the angle between the B field and the surface.

But since the B field is homogeneous in the z-direction, [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and cos=0, so something must be really flawed in my reasoning.

Yes, they are both equal due to Stokes' Theorem:

[tex]
\phi_{m} = \int_{S}{\left(\mathbf{B} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{n}}\right) \, da} = \oint{\mathbf{A} \cdot d\mathbf{l}}
[/tex]

So, there is no factor of [itex]1/(2\pi)[/itex] if you use the circulation of the vector potential.

So there is nothing wrong in my reasoning and the flux actually is zero? It seems odd to ask me to evaluate it "as a function of the energy" then.

No, it is not zero. I didn't see the part where you say it's zero. Since [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] has only a zero component, you need to evaluate:

[tex]
\oint{\mathbf{A} \cdot d\mathbf{l}} = \oint{A_{y} \, dy} = B \int_{0}^{T}{x(t) \, v_{y}(t)}
[/tex]

where [itex]T = 2\pi/\omega[/itex] is the period of the trajectory and i used [itex]A_{y} = B \, x[/itex].

[tex]B\int x(t) v_{y} (t) = B \frac{-(v_{0})^2}{\omega} \int (sin(\omega t)^2)[/tex]

Using [tex](sin(\omega t)^2) = \frac{1 - cos (2\omega t)}{2}[/tex] and doing the integral, I get

[tex]\Phi = B\pi(- \frac{v_{0}}{\omega})^2[/tex]

yes. the minus sign is redundant.

I can't thank you enough for all your help.

no problem. nice username ;)

Btw, I don't think I understand why the magnetic flux is a function of the energy here.

Back