Laplace and Fourier Transforms

In summary, the Laplace transform and Fourier transform are closely related, with the Fourier transform being a special case of the Laplace transform. The history of these transforms is complex, but it is believed that Fourier's work came first in describing functions as sums of sines and cosines. It was later discovered that Fourier's transform is a type of integral transform, and other mathematicians like Laplace studied other integral transforms. The Fourier transform is obtained from the Laplace transform by restricting s to only the imaginary axis, and it is generally not a special case of the usual Laplace transform. Additionally, there are some cases where the Fourier transform exists but the bilateral Laplace transform does not.
pbandjay
Well, not sure where to begin. I have a couple questions that I have been unable to find answers to from professors/books/etc... I feel like I'm making a little progress in filling in the gaps but not completely.

First of all, I just don't understand what makes the Laplace transform work so well. All of my books on differential equations just give the definition and then results and such. But how is the integral derived? I shudder to think that someone just "noticed" it works.

On to Fourier.. I have not formally studied the Fourier transform yet, but I have studied the Fourier series. My first reaction to seeing the transform is that is looks so similar to the Laplace transform that maybe the Laplace is a specific case of the Fourier transform (kind of doubt that). I am still not sure exactly how the Fourier transform comes out of the Fourier series. How does this work? There seems to be a resemblance between the series in exponential form and the integral definition, but I am still not sure how the series goes into the integral definition.

Does the Fourier transform work pretty much the same way as the Laplace transform only it takes care of complex functions?

Also, are these two things linked somehow? Or should I stop with the bad habit of assumption and start to think of these as two completely independent things?

Sorry if this type of thing has been posted before. I used the search option but didn't find much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The variable s, used in the Laplace transform, is a complex number usually written in the form [itex]s = \sigma + i \omega[/itex]

The Fourier transform is obtained from the Laplace transform by restricting s to only the imaginary axis. In other words, if you fix [itex]s = i \omega[/itex], you get the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform is a special case of the Laplace transform.

The imaginary parameter, [itex]\omega[/itex], indicates frequency. The real parameter indicates damping. Since the Fourier transform considers only pure tones (undamped (co)sine waves which oscillate forever), it makes sense that the Fourier transform considers only the imaginary parameter.

The history of these transforms involved a number of people and a great many years, and I'm not well-versed in it, so take what follows with a grain of salt. I believe Fourier's work came first, in describing functions as sums of sines and cosines. It was later discovered that Fourier's transform is a type of integral transform, and people like Laplace began studying other kinds of integral transforms, including those which can represent functions in terms of both damped and undamped (co)sine waves.

- Warren

Ok thank you! That helps a lot. I reviewed the course description for PDE I'll be taking soon, I think I will wait until that class before continuing to study the subject since I'll be learning about Fourier series in that class. So hopefully that will help bridge some gaps.

The problem I have with studying topics on my own is I get sidetracked to other topics so easily..

chroot said:
The Fourier transform is obtained from the Laplace transform by restricting s to only the imaginary axis. In other words, if you fix [itex]s = i \omega[/itex], you get the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform is a special case of the Laplace transform.

That statement should probably be qualified by saying the Fouirer Transform is a special case of the bilateral laplace transform, whose limits are the whole real line. The usual Laplace transform just covers the half real line, so the Fourier transform is generally not a special case of it.

There's brief bit of history about the transform on wikipedia's page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform

Also, note that there are some cases in which the Fourier transform exists but the bilateral laplace transform doesn't, as the integral doesn't converge (or converges, but only for a limited range of the real part of s). A typical example are the characteristic function and moment generating function of a probability distribution, the first being the Fourier transform, which always exists, and the second being the bilateral laplace transform, which does not necessarily exist for all or any s.

Last edited:

1. What are Laplace and Fourier transforms?

Laplace and Fourier transforms are mathematical tools used to convert a function or equation from one domain to another. The Laplace transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Fourier transform converts a function from the time domain to the spatial domain.

2. What is the difference between Laplace and Fourier transforms?

The main difference between Laplace and Fourier transforms is the domain in which they operate. While both transforms convert a function from the time domain to another domain, the Laplace transform is used for functions that are defined for all real values of time, while the Fourier transform is used for functions that are defined for a finite period of time.

3. What are the applications of Laplace and Fourier transforms?

Laplace and Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in signal processing, control systems, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics, to name a few. They are also used in solving differential equations and in data compression techniques.

4. How do Laplace and Fourier transforms work?

Laplace and Fourier transforms work by breaking down a function into its constituent frequencies or components. The Laplace transform uses complex numbers to represent the different frequencies, while the Fourier transform uses sine and cosine functions to represent the different components of a function. By converting to a different domain, it becomes easier to analyze and manipulate the function.

5. Are Laplace and Fourier transforms related?

Yes, Laplace and Fourier transforms are related as the Laplace transform can be seen as an extension of the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform can be derived from the Laplace transform by setting the complex variable in the Laplace transform to have a zero imaginary part. This means that the Fourier transform is a special case of the Laplace transform, where the frequency is purely real.