Laplace equation on square (using fourier transform)

In summary, the laplace equation with a set of boundary conditions on a square can be solved using a Fourier transform, but when solved it does not give the expected answer of a constant horizontal pressure gradient plus a constant.
bremvil
Hello,

I'm trying to solve the following problem:

[tex]\nabla^2 p = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial y}(x, y_{bot}) = \frac{\partial p}{\partial y}(x, y_{top}) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial x}(x_{left}, y) = \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}(x_{right}, y) = C_0 [/tex]

which is the laplace equation with a set of boundary conditions on a square. The physical interpretation is that the horizontal pressure derivative on the left is the same as on the right. The material properties like viscosity and hydraulic conductivity within the square are uniform (the problem deals with water flow in a porous medium). The vertical pressure derivative on the top is the same as on the bottom, and is 0 (in a zero gravity situation). In this scenario I would expect the solution to be a constant horizontal pressure gradient plus a constant. But when I try to solve the problem using a Fourier transform I don't get this. I expect that I'm doing something wrong, could you maybe point out where?

First, doing a Fourier transform over x, the problem transforms into: (not transforming boundary conditions on [tex]x_{left}[/tex] and [tex]x_{right}[/tex])

[tex] - \omega^2\bar{p}(\omega, y) + \frac{\partial^2 \bar{p}(\omega, y)}{\partial y^2}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial \bar{p}(\omega, y_{bot})}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial \bar{p}(\omega, y_{top})}{\partial y} = 0 [/tex]

I then assumed that p would take the following form in the omega, y domain:
[tex]\bar{p}(\omega, y) = a(\omega)e^{-\omega y} + b(\omega)e^{\omega y}[/tex]
Leading to:
[tex]\frac{\partial \bar{p}(\omega, y)}{\partial y} = -a(\omega) \omega e^{-\omega y} + b(\omega) \omega e^{\omega y}[/tex]

Using the boundary condition for [tex] y = y_{bot}[/tex] and assuming for simplicity
[tex]y_{bot} = 0[/tex]
I get:

[tex] -a(\omega) \omega + b(\omega)\omega = 0[/tex]
so

[tex]a(\omega) = b(\omega)[/tex]
Okay, then the condition at [tex] y = y_{top} [/tex]

[tex] -a(\omega) \omega e^{-\omega y_{top}} + b(\omega) \omega e^{\omega y_{top}} = 0 [/tex]
Using a = b I get:

[tex] -a(\omega) + a(\omega) e^{2\omega y_{top}} = 0 [/tex]
And finally:

[tex] a(\omega)\left(e^{2\omega y_{top}} - 1\right) = 0 [/tex]

And this has no non-trivial (a != 0) solution unless I say [tex]\omega = 0[/tex], but that does not make sense I think and it won't give me the horizontal pressure gradient that I expected. Could anyone please point out what I'm doing wrong? I never really used Fourier for solving differential equations so I could be overlooking something fundamental.

Physics news on Phys.org
A bump to show that I am still interested in the topic. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this topic than me can give me a hint :)

Does anyone have an idea?

1. What is the Laplace equation on a square using Fourier transform?

The Laplace equation on a square using Fourier transform is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of a scalar function on a square-shaped domain. It is expressed as the sum of the second partial derivatives of the function with respect to the coordinates x and y, equal to zero. The Fourier transform allows for the solution of this equation by transforming it into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain.

2. What is the significance of using Fourier transform for the Laplace equation on a square?

The Fourier transform is significant in solving the Laplace equation on a square because it transforms the equation into a simpler form in the frequency domain. This allows for the use of techniques such as separation of variables and superposition to find the general solution. It also allows for the solution of more complex boundary value problems on the square domain.

3. How is the Fourier transform applied to the Laplace equation on a square?

The Fourier transform is applied to the Laplace equation on a square by taking the Fourier transform of both sides of the equation with respect to the spatial variables x and y. This transforms the equation into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain, which can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables and superposition.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the Laplace equation on a square?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace equation on a square are typically specified in terms of the values of the function on the edges of the square domain. These can include Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the function is specified at the boundary points, or Neumann boundary conditions, where the normal derivative of the function is specified at the boundary points.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace equation on a square using Fourier transform?

The Laplace equation on a square using Fourier transform has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics in various systems such as heat exchangers, aerodynamics, and circuit design. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and other areas of mathematics and science.