Solving LaPlace Equation: Water Potential=-KH=-x^3y+xy^3+5

In summary, the student does not know how to find partial derivatives and is trying to solve an equation they do not understand.
maureen101

Homework Statement

water potential=-KH=-x^3y+xy^3+5. Is this a solution to the Laplace equation and is yes, show how

Homework Equations

LaPlace equation= Partial derivitive^2 of H/partial deriv x^2+partial deriv^2H/partial deriv y^2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea. Somebody please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know how to find partial derivatives??

This is for a soil physics class that did not have any prerequisites but we are doing differential equations and I stopped my math education way before calculus. (I did my undergrad over 20 years ago). The teacher has shown some partial derivitive equations but this x^3y+xy^3 +5 equation just looks algebraic to me. I can't relate it at all to the LaPlace equation. I'm on day 4 of trying to figure this out and the teacher won't give any help.

If you are in a class where you are expected to find partial derivatives and you have never taken Calculus, then you clearly do not have the prerequisites for the course and probably should drop it as soon as possible.

So you don't know how to find derivatives either? That's a little awkward. You really have to know how to do that before you can say much about the Laplace equation. Do you know what a derivative is?

Nobody in the class knows how to do derivitives and only two have had calculus. The teacher has strange expectations since he asks questions about things he has neither taught nor expressed in advance that they must have already been learned. And the semester ends in a a few weeks, so dropping is a little silly. Back to getting actual help...
I do know what a partial derivitive is. Do I need to start with the x,y equation and do a pertial derivitive on each component (i.e x^3y and xy^3) or do I start with the LaPlace equation and try to come up with the x,y equation.

You have the equation itself, now all you have to do is take a second partial derivative with respect to x, then a second partial derivative with respect to y, add them, and verify that you get 0.

maureen101 said:
Nobody in the class knows how to do derivitives and only two have had calculus. The teacher has strange expectations since he asks questions about things he has neither taught nor expressed in advance that they must have already been learned. And the semester ends in a a few weeks, so dropping is a little silly. Back to getting actual help...
I do know what a partial derivitive is. Do I need to start with the x,y equation and do a pertial derivitive on each component (i.e x^3y and xy^3) or do I start with the LaPlace equation and try to come up with the x,y equation.

Ok, so maybe you can bluff this one out. Take just the part x^3y. What's the first partial derivative with respect to x? Second derivative?

Is the answer to the first derivitive of x^3y=3x^2y

maureen101 said:

that is one of the partial derivatives, yes.

maureen101 said:

That's the first derivative with respect to x. What's second with respect to x? Then you have to do the y derivatives. Then you have to do the same thing with the xy^3 part. Then don't forget there is minus sign in front of the first one. It's really not that hard if you got that first x derivative. Just more of the same.

1. What is the LaPlace equation and how does it relate to water potential?

The LaPlace equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the water potential of a system. It relates the water potential to the pressure gradient within the system, which is represented by the term -KH. This means that as the pressure gradient increases, the water potential decreases.

2. How is the LaPlace equation solved?

The LaPlace equation can be solved by setting it equal to zero and using algebraic methods to rearrange the equation and solve for the unknown variable. In this case, the variable is x or y, depending on which one is being solved for.

3. What do the terms -x^3y and xy^3 represent in the LaPlace equation?

These terms represent the surface tension forces acting on the system. The first term, -x^3y, represents the force caused by the curvature of the surface in the x-direction, while the second term, xy^3, represents the force caused by the curvature in the y-direction.

4. How does the LaPlace equation account for the effects of gravity?

The LaPlace equation does not directly account for the effects of gravity. However, it indirectly accounts for it by considering the pressure gradient within the system, which can be influenced by gravity. For example, in a system with a higher pressure at the bottom and a lower pressure at the top, gravity would play a role in creating this pressure gradient.

5. Can the LaPlace equation be applied to systems other than water?

Yes, the LaPlace equation can be applied to any system that involves a liquid or gas and has a curved surface. This includes systems such as soap bubbles, liquid droplets, and even alveoli in the lungs.