Solving the Laplace Nightmare: Inverse Transform of an RL Circuit

• Thread starter bingie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple series RL circuit with a square wave input and its corresponding equation. The topic of finding the inverse laplace transform is also mentioned, with three possible methods suggested to approach it. One of the methods suggested is to use the stationary phase approximation to find the asymptotic behavior of the inverse transform. This method may work by deforming the contour of integration and finding the portion that gives the greatest contribution to the integral.
bingie
** disclaimer - not homework ** =)

Is the following correct?

I have a simple series RL circuit with a square wave input (periodic) defined by:

Code:
e(t) = {10 0 <= t < 2
       { 0 2 <= t < 4
With a period of 4

E(s) = 1/(1-exp(-2as) * int (0 -> 2) exp(-st) f(t) dt

Here the period = 2a thus a = 2

E(s) = 1/(1-exp(-4s) * int (0->2) exp(-st) (10) dt
E(s) = 1/(1-exp(-4s) * 10 * exp(-st)/-s | 0 -> 2
E(s) = 10/s * (1-exp(-2s)/(1-exp(-4s)

Since this is an RL circuit, the equation is

E(s) = I(s) (R + sL)
thus,
I(s) = E(s) / (R+sL)
= 10/s * (1-exp(-2s)/(1-exp(-4s)(R+sL)
= 10 / (s * (R+sL) * (1+exp(-2s))

Now, I don't have a transform where the exponent is on the bottom - how do I get the inverse laplace transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that a closed form exists for the inverse transform but you can try one of the following.

(i) Multiply numerator and denominator by exp(s) giving an exponential in the numerator and cosh(s) in the denominator - then scour the tables!

(ii) Try developing the asymptotic behavior of the inverse transform using the stationary phase approximation.

(iii) Try to find the inverse by numerical means.

Good luck!

Tide said:
I don't know that a closed form exists for the inverse transform but you can try one of the following.

(ii) Try developing the asymptotic behavior of the inverse transform using the stationary phase approximation.

Good luck!

i have doubts about your (II) quote in fact if we make a change of variable s=c+ix we have the next integral (but a factor 2pi):

[tex] \int_{R}dxF(c+ix)e^{ixt} [/tex] with R=(-oo,oo) how do you apply

in that case the "Asymptotic" behavior?...note that exp(ixt) is complex and Laplace method won,t work at all.

How does that rule out stationary phase? We are free to deform the contour of integration in any manner we choose and find the portion that gives the greatest contribution to the integral.

1. What is the Laplace Transform and why is it used for solving RL circuits?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to simplify the analysis of complex systems, such as RL circuits. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations.

2. What is the Inverse Laplace Transform and how is it related to solving RL circuits?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is the reverse operation of the Laplace Transform. It converts a function of complex frequency back into a function of time. In the context of RL circuits, it is used to find the time-domain solution of the circuit.

3. How do I use the Laplace Transform to solve an RL circuit?

To solve an RL circuit using the Laplace Transform, you first need to find the Laplace Transform of the circuit's input and the components in the circuit. Then, you can use algebraic operations and tables of Laplace Transform pairs to simplify the circuit and find the solution in the frequency domain. Finally, you can use the Inverse Laplace Transform to convert the solution back to the time domain.

4. What are the common challenges when using the Laplace Transform to solve RL circuits?

One of the main challenges when using the Laplace Transform to solve RL circuits is ensuring that the circuit is in a suitable form for the transform. This may require manipulation of the circuit and the use of circuit analysis techniques. Additionally, understanding and choosing the correct Laplace Transform pairs from tables can also be challenging.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving RL circuits besides using the Laplace Transform?

Yes, there are other methods for solving RL circuits, such as using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to create a system of differential equations and solving them using numerical methods. However, the Laplace Transform is often preferred due to its ability to handle complex systems and its efficiency in finding solutions.