Laplace solution in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's assignment to calculate the exact solution of the Laplace equation in polar coordinates for a hollow disk with specific boundary conditions. The speaker is seeking assistance or a helpful link for solving the equation. They also mention a specific form for the solution and ask about finding the constants using the boundary conditions. The speaker acknowledges their questions may be amateur but they are confused.
alphadyn
Hello, its been a pleasure finding you:smile:

I have an asignment due to the end of this week and due to some problems, i hadn't found time to get to it so far.

I have to calculate the exact solution of the Laplace equation in polar coordinates, in a hollow disk in the domain Ω

where R1<=r<=R2 and 0<=θ<=2π

and with the following boundary conditions

φ(R1,θ)=0 and φ(R2,θ)=sin2θ

I would be in debt to anyone who can assist me or refer me to a link that can be helpful[edit] unfortunately i didn't see soon enough the 2nd sticky :( please move my post to the right thread..I'm sorry for the inconvinience..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is Laplace's equation in polar coordinates? You should be able to separate it into equation for the [itex]\theta[/itex] and r dependencies separately.

Its form would be the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial r^2}+\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial ^2f}{\partial \theta^2} + \frac{1}{ r} \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}= 0[/tex]

From this stage, can you tell me how do I proceed?[edit] Suppose the solution I'm seeking is in the following form

[tex]f(r,\theta) =C_0lnr + D_0 + \sum_{0}^\infty(C_nr+\frac{D_n}{r^n}).(A_ncosn\theta + B_nsinn\theta)[/tex]

how do i find the constants that occur by my B.C? I know my questions are a bit amateur style but I'm quite confused

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace solution in polar coordinates?

The Laplace solution in polar coordinates is a mathematical method used to solve problems involving Laplace's equation in a coordinate system where the coordinates are expressed in terms of radius and angle.

2. How is the Laplace solution in polar coordinates different from the Cartesian solution?

The Laplace solution in polar coordinates is different from the Cartesian solution because it uses a different coordinate system. While the Cartesian solution uses x, y, and z coordinates, the polar solution uses radius and angle coordinates.

3. What are some applications of the Laplace solution in polar coordinates?

The Laplace solution in polar coordinates is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. It is also used in mathematics to solve boundary value problems and partial differential equations.

4. How is the Laplace solution in polar coordinates derived?

The Laplace solution in polar coordinates is derived using separation of variables and solving the resulting differential equations using appropriate boundary conditions. This method involves breaking down the problem into simpler parts and using mathematical techniques to solve each part separately.

5. What are the limitations of the Laplace solution in polar coordinates?

One limitation of the Laplace solution in polar coordinates is that it can only be used to solve problems involving Laplace's equation. It also assumes that the problem is axially symmetric, meaning that the solution does not depend on the angle. Additionally, the solution may be more complex and difficult to visualize in polar coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates.