1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Laplace solution in polar coordinates

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    Hello, its been a pleasure finding you:smile:

I have an asignment due to the end of this week and due to some problems, i hadn't found time to get to it so far.

I have to calculate the exact solution of the Laplace equation in polar coordinates, in a hollow disk in the domain Ω

where R1<=r<=R2 and 0<=θ<=2π

and with the following boundary conditions

φ(R1,θ)=0 and φ(R2,θ)=sin2θ

I would be in debt to anyone who can assist me or refer me to a link that can be helpful

[edit] unfortunately i didn't see soon enough the 2nd sticky :( please move my post to the right thread..I'm sorry for the inconvinience..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What is Laplace's equation in polar coordinates? You should be able to separate it into equation for the [itex]\theta[/itex] and r dependencies separately.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    Its form would be the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial r^2}+\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial ^2f}{\partial \theta^2} + \frac{1}{ r} \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}= 0[/tex]

From this stage, can you tell me how do I proceed?

[edit] Suppose the solution i'm seeking is in the following form

[tex]f(r,\theta) =C_0lnr + D_0 + \sum_{0}^\infty(C_nr+\frac{D_n}{r^n}).(A_ncosn\theta + B_nsinn\theta)[/tex]

how do i find the constants that occur by my B.C? I know my questions are a bit amateur style but I'm quite confused

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook