How to find the inverse of a Laplace Transform?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the inverse Laplace transform of -(s^(1/2)) and the various methods that can be used. It is mentioned that according to a table, the inverse Laplace transform of -1/s^{1/2} is -t^{-1/2}/\Gamma(1/2)= -1/\sqrt{\pi t}. However, there is some discrepancy in using the first derivative rule to find the inverse Laplace transform, as the Laplace transform of t^{-1/2} does not exist. The conversation also mentions a journal discussing a method called the fixed Talbot algorithm for finding the inverse Laplace transform in the complex plane. There is also a mention of Mathematica
sugaku
Hi,

I want to inverse this laplace transform, -(s^(1/2)), seems that the inverse is in complex plane. Where should i start to find this inverse...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to this table, http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm, [itex]1/s^k[/itex], where k can be any real number is the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{k-1}/\Gamma(k)[/itex] so the "inverse Laplace tranform" of [itex]-1/s^{1/2}[/itex] is [itex]-t^{-1/2}/\Gamma(1/2)= -1/\sqrt{\pi t}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
According to this table, http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm, [itex]1/s^k[/itex], where k can be any real number is the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{k-1}/\Gamma(k)[/itex] so the "inverse Laplace tranform" of [itex]-1/s^{1/2}[/itex] is [itex]-t^{-1/2}/\Gamma(1/2)= -1/\sqrt{\pi t}[/itex].

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I should use latex, I'm looking inversion of [tex]-\sqrt{s}[/tex]

In the first place does the inversion of [itex]-\sqrt{s}[/itex] exist?

Let say it exist

From the http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm" formula,
[tex]L\{ \frac{df}{dt} \} = sF(s) - f(0^-)[/tex]

Let [itex]f(0^-)=0[/itex] and choose F(s)=-s-1/2 so that [itex]f(t)=-1/\sqrt{\pi t}[/itex]

Hence
[tex] L^{-1} \{ -\sqrt{s} \} = \frac{d}{dt} (-1/\sqrt{\pi t}) = \frac{\pi}{2} (\pi t)^{-3/2} [/tex]

So many contradiction!

Last edited by a moderator:
matematikawan said:
In the first place does the inversion of [itex]-\sqrt{s}[/itex] exist?

Let say it exist

From the http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm" formula,
[tex]L\{ \frac{df}{dt} \} = sF(s) - f(0^-)[/tex]

Let [itex]f(0^-)=0[/itex] and choose F(s)=-s-1/2 so that [itex]f(t)=-1/\sqrt{\pi t}[/itex]

Hence
[tex] L^{-1} \{ -\sqrt{s} \} = \frac{d}{dt} (-1/\sqrt{\pi t}) = \frac{\pi}{2} (\pi t)^{-3/2} [/tex]

So many contradiction!

If you choose f(t) to be t^{-1/2}, f(0-) is clearly not zero! You can't use the first derivative rule as you did because

[tex]\mathcal L\left(\frac{d t^{-1/2}}{dt} = -\frac{1}{2}t^{-3/2}\right)[/tex]

doesn't exist! The Laplace transform

[tex]\int_{0^-}^\infty dt~t^q e^{-st}[/tex]

exists only for [itex]\mbox{Re}(q) > -1[/itex], so saying

[tex]\int_{0^-}^\infty dt~t^{-3/2} e^{-st} \propto \mathcal L[t^{-1/2}] + f(0^-)[/tex]

is somewhat nonsensical (though you can argue that the LHS doesn't exist because the integral diverges, which is indicated by f(0-) being undefined).

So, the transform of t^{-1/2} does exist, though you won't be able to see that from the first derivative rule.

Hi guys.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I found one journal 'Multi-precision Laplace transform inversion' discussing about laplace inversion in complex plane named fixed talbot algorithm.

this is the direct link to the said journal. http://www.pe.tamu.edu/valko/public_html/CV/ValkoPDF/2004AV_IJNME_Multi.pdf

Talbot pioneered the approach of deforming the standard contour in the Bromwich integral

[tex]f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_B \left exp(ts) \hat{f}(s) \right ds[/tex]

[tex]B[/tex] in above equation is a vertical line defined by [tex]s=r+iy[/tex]. By Cauchy's theorem the deformed contour is valid where, line to a contour that ends in the left half plane (the integration from -infinity to infinity).

by using this method ,the laplace inversion for

[tex]- \sqrt{s} [/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{\pi t^3}}[/tex]

i still couldn't prove it manually, because couldn't understand a few concept involved. i need to discuss it with my 'sensei'

I know my argument has a lot flaw. But I did get the right answer :wink: . I was hoping someone could improve on the method.

Mute said:
The Laplace transform

exists only for [itex]\mbox{Re}(q) > -1[/itex], so saying

[tex]\int_{0^-}^\infty dt~t^{-3/2} e^{-st} \propto \mathcal L[t^{-1/2}] + f(0^-)[/tex]

is somewhat nonsensical (though you can argue that the LHS doesn't exist because the integral diverges, which is indicated by f(0-) being undefined).

So, the transform of t^{-1/2} does exist, though you won't be able to see that from the first derivative rule.

This is a mystery because when I asked a friend to get the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{-3/2} [/itex] using Mathematica, it is possible to do it.
[tex]L \{ \frac{1}{t^{3/2}} \} = -2\sqrt{\pi s}[/tex]

One more question Mute. When you write the Laplace transform as

Is it not that t are positive. But why do we have the limit 0-. This also appears in the first derivative rule.

matematikawan said:
This is a mystery because when I asked a friend to get the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{-3/2} [/itex] using Mathematica, it is possible to do it.
[tex]L \{ \frac{1}{t^{3/2}} \} = -2\sqrt{\pi s}[/tex]

I'm not sure. I would guess Mathematica is just giving that answer as a purely formal result based on the general formula in my last post. If you ask Mathematica to do the integral

[tex]\int_0^\infty dt~\frac{e^{-st}}{t^{3/2}},[/tex]
it will return the result "Integral does not converge".

One more question Mute. When you write the Laplace transform as

Is it not that t are positive. But why do we have the limit 0-. This also appears in the first derivative rule.

Approaching zero from the negative side is just so the laplace transform of the delta function gives 1 instead of zero. I don't think it makes a difference for other functions.

Thanks for that info about the usage of 0-.
I don't have access to Mathematica to experiment further. But if I'm to use http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=Exp[-s*x]/x^(3/2)&random=false" for indefinite integral, it look like Mathematical can integrates it.

[tex]\int dt~\frac{e^{-st}}{t^{3/2}} = -2\sqrt{\pi s} \mbox{ erf}(\sqrt{st}) - \frac{2e^{-st}}{\sqrt{t}} [/tex]

It still looks like the function fail to exist when t tends to zero.

Could it possible that Mathematica does not use Riemann integration? Lebesgue integration! what's this?

And where is https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=355612"? I know he is an expert with that complex inversion formula. Can it be done with Bromwich integral ?

1. What is the Laplace Transform inversion?

The Laplace Transform inversion is a mathematical process that allows us to convert a function from the time domain into the frequency domain. This means that it transforms a function from being described in terms of time to being described in terms of frequency.

2. Why do we use the Laplace Transform inversion?

The Laplace Transform inversion is commonly used in engineering and science to solve differential equations, which are often difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of systems in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights.

3. How is the Laplace Transform inversion performed?

The Laplace Transform inversion is performed by using an integral transform, which essentially changes the function into a different representation. This new representation can then be manipulated using mathematical techniques to solve for the original function.

4. What are the limitations of the Laplace Transform inversion?

The Laplace Transform inversion is limited to functions that have a Laplace Transform. This means that it cannot be used for all types of functions, such as those with infinite discontinuities or singularities.

5. Can the Laplace Transform inversion be used for real-world applications?

Yes, the Laplace Transform inversion has many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. It is especially useful in analyzing and designing systems that involve feedback or time delays.