1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform on RC circuit

1. Nov 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6b7cd32ac1.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1b9cb7fe97.png
    b981c855e1.png

I'm kind of lost now, how do I go about getting this into the right form for partial fraction exapnsion. And also what do I do with the V(0'). There was no information given about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2017 #2
    What is the problem statement? It is not clear from what you supplied. Also, why do you have an initial charge on the capacitor when the switch was initially open?

4. Nov 11, 2017 #3
    6b7cd32ac1-png.png

The problem is to find v(t) for t>0. The diagram is a series combination of a voltage source E, resistor R and capcitance C. Where v(t) is the voltage across the capacitor. The step function diagram is for E not v(t)

5. Nov 11, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Algebra.
    It's reasonable to assume it's equal to 0, though the problem statement really should have included information about it.

6. Nov 12, 2017 #5
    Any idea on what next "algebra" step to take?

7. Nov 13, 2017 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

take a look at any inverse laplace table. You need to find a way to get your system into one of those forms.
    So....

E/C / [ S * (Rs+1/C) ] = A1 + [A2 / S] + [A3 / (Rs+1/C)]

Solve for A and B. How do you do that. Try setting s=0 and s= -1/(RC), which will cancel out the values

8. Nov 13, 2017 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted