1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: laplace transform of x"+2x'+x=sin(t) x=x'=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt at problem: I was able to get Y(s)=1/(s^2+1)(s^2+2s+5) and then i expanded it to get [s/10(s^2+2s+5)]-[s/10(s^2+1)]+[1/5(s^2+1)]. The last two terms are easy to transform the first term i completed the square and got 1/10*s/(s+1)^2+4

Question: from maple i know it will be a exp times a sin and cos function of some sort. I don't know how they got that even though i see it in the denominator.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2
    Hi Jumpman,

Firstly, if you did mean to write the DE as x"+2x'+x=sin(t) (with no 5 in front of the x) then you should restart from there. Otherwise, I'll assume you meant x"+2x'+5x=sin(t) with initial conditions x(0)=x'(0)=0.

To find the inverse laplace of [tex]\frac{s}{(s+1)^2+4}[/tex] using the formulae

[tex]\frac{s-a}{(s-a)^2+b^2}\mapsto e^{at}\cos{bt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{b}{(s-a)^2+b^2}\mapsto e^{at}\sin{bt}\, ,[/tex]

begin by rewriting it as

[tex]\frac{s}{(s+1)^2+4} = \frac{s+1}{(s+1)^2+4} - \frac{1}{(s+1)^2+4}[/tex].

Can you proceed from there?
  4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    yes I do see it now...thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?