Laplacetransform an Integral, problem with the inverstransform

• Thread starter Muffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving Laplacetransforming and got stuck. They were helped by a classmate who explained that they dropped the factor of 9 in the exponent and solved the problem correctly.
Muffin

Homework Statement

Hey! I have tried to solve this problem but I get stuck when it comes to the inverstransforming. Anyway here is the problem and my attempt to a solution:

Solve [tex]f(t)=2\int_{0}^{t}sin(9u)f'(t-u)du+sin9t,t\geq 0[/tex] for f(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Laplacetransforming:

[tex]F(s)=\frac{18}{s^{2}+9^{2}}sF(s) + \frac{9}{s^{2}+9^{2}}[/tex]

Solving F(s)
[tex]F(s)=\frac{9}{s^{2}+9^{2}-18s}[/tex]

I don't know what to do now, with the inverstransform? And the F(s) feels wrong..Is my Laplacetransforming correct, I have tried to use the convolution theorem..but I don't know if I used it correct..

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that [itex]s^2- 18s+ 9^2= (s- 9)^2[/itex]?

Yes, But its something wrong bcs in the end f(t) should be sin9t.

And this answer will give me 9te^(9t).

Do you know what am I doing wrong?

Your answer is correct; 9te9t satisfies the original equation. Did you copy the problem correctly?

vela said:
Your answer is correct; 9te9t satisfies the original equation. Did you copy the problem correctly?

Really?? :D hmm, yes but I tried the problem in wolframalpha.com and the answer was sin9t. I maybe did write the problem wrong in wolfram..

Thank you for the answer! :D

Sorry but.. How does 9te^(9t) satisfies the answer.
Im trying to derivate it f'(t-u) and put that into the original equation. But I get a strange answer.

Show us your work. When I do what you describe, it works out.

Okey :)

[tex]f'(t-u)= 9e^{t-u}(9(t-u)+1)[/tex]

[tex]f(t)=2\int_{0}^{t}(sin9u)(9e^{t-u}(9(t-u)+1)du + sin9t[/tex]

[tex]f(t)=\frac{2}{9}(cos9t-1)+ 2(e^{9t}(t-\frac{1}{9})+\frac{1}{9})+sin9t[/tex]

You dropped the factor of 9 in the exponent.

How will sin and cos go away?

They end up canceling out if you integrate everything correctly. If you're just doing this to check the answer, why don't you just evaluate the integrals using Wolfram Alpha?

No, I wanted to try it by my self. And now I did :)
Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

Good work! I totally understand wanting to crank it out by hand. There's nothing better than practice to learn how to calculate quickly and how to avoid making mistakes.

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. This integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity. The result is a function of s, which represents the complex frequency domain.

3. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the opposite operation of the Laplace transform. It takes a function of complex frequency and returns a function of time. It is denoted by the symbol L^-1.

4. How do you solve a problem with the inverse Laplace transform?

To solve a problem with the inverse Laplace transform, you first need to take the Laplace transform of the given function. Then, you can use tables or other methods to find the corresponding inverse Laplace transform. Some common methods include partial fraction decomposition and the use of complex variables.

5. What are some common applications of Laplace transform?

Laplace transform has many applications in engineering and physics. It is commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze control systems, and study the behavior of electrical circuits. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and probability theory.