Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term

In summary, the discussion centers around the Laplacian of the Coulomb potential and its relation to the delta function. There are different views on the Laplacian of 1/r at the origin, with some sources claiming it is zero while others say it is \delta^3(r). The latter is proven in post #10 of a physics forum thread and can be written in spherical coordinates. The conversation also addresses the difference between \delta(r) and \delta^3(r) and the relevance of including delta functions in the angular components of the potential.
NanakiXIII
The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_structure#Darwin_term" contains a (3D-)delta function as a result of taking the Laplacian of the Coulomb potential. I'm trying to find out why. I've been searching, and I've so far come across different views of the Laplacian of 1/r at the origin. Either it's considered zero, or

[tex]
\nabla^2\frac 1 r = -\,\frac{\delta(r)}{r^2},
[/tex]

but I can't find any reference that says it's [itex]\delta^3(r)[/itex]. It has the right units, but that's about all I can say about it. Could someone clarify this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relation

[tex]\nabla^{2}|\frac{1}{\vec{r}}| = -4\pi \delta^{3}(\vec{r})[/tex]

is proved in post #10 of;

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=200580

In spherical coordinates, the delta function can be written as

[tex]\delta^{3}(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{r^{2}} \delta (r) \delta (\phi) \delta (\cos \theta )[/tex]

regards

sam

Ah, I see. I assumed [itex]\delta(r)[/itex] and [itex]\delta(\vec{r})[/itex] were pretty much the same thing, but I guess not. Thanks. Is there actually any point in including those delta functions in [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex]? The delta function in [itex]r[/itex] narrows things down to a single point.

I assumed [itex]\delta(r)[/itex] and [itex]\delta(\vec{r})[/itex] were pretty much the same thing,

Yes, thse are the same thing! However, [itex]\delta(r)[/itex] is different from [itex]\delta^{3}(r)[/itex].

Is there actually any point in including those delta functions in [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Well, the theta and the phi are there! you can't just leave them out. For certain potential you can integrate or average over the angular dependence. But, in general, potentials do depend on theta and phi.

sam

1. What is the Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term?

The Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term is a mathematical expression used to describe the electric potential around a charged particle. It is represented as ∇²(1/r), where ∇² represents the Laplace operator and r represents the distance from the charged particle.

2. What is the significance of Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term in physics?

The Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term is significant in physics because it helps describe the electric field and potential around a charged particle. This is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with each other.

3. How is the Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term derived?

The Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term is derived using the Laplace operator, which is a differential operator that measures the rate of change of a function. It is then applied to the 1/r function, which represents the inverse of the distance from a charged particle.

4. What is the difference between Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term and Coulomb's law?

The Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term and Coulomb's law are both mathematical expressions used to describe the electric potential around a charged particle. However, the Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term is a more general expression that takes into account the effects of relativity, while Coulomb's law only applies to non-relativistic scenarios.

5. How is the Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term used in practical applications?

The Laplacian of 1/r in Darwin term is used in practical applications such as electrostatics, quantum mechanics, and particle accelerators. It helps scientists understand the behavior of charged particles and predict their interactions, which is crucial in fields such as particle physics and materials science.