Large parallel slashes through topography

• Thread starter maze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary: Large parallel "slashes" through topography are seen in this photo. It is unknown what causes the marks, but they may be the result of faults or dykes. The pattern is so regular that it looks like someone took a comb and scratched the Earth's surface with it.
maze
Large parallel "slashes" through topography

What causes these huge (dozens of miles long) parallel "slashes" through topography like seen in this photo??:
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7817/geomacrostripesid1.png

Here is another one:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7121/macroslash2gp2.png

The pattern is so regular, it looks like someone took 50 mile wide comb and scratched the Earth's surface with it. You can see the slash marks cut through the "more natural" river flows too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Hard to tell on these pictures alone... On the top picture it looks like a lot of the river valleys are follwing lines of weakness. Can't tell what the weakness is, but it could be igneous dykes or a faults. I can't quite get my head round the topography on no.2 but it looks like two sets of ridges & furrows running at right angles. I'm more inclined to think dykes than faults because I can't see any displacement where they cross.
I don't know the area's geology so I can't tell you any more.

Could you link to the second on google maps? I wouldn't mind a closer look.

Ok after a little research, these look like transform faults qualitatively:
transf.jpg

But the thing is the previous pictures are in Utah, which is nowhere near a tectonic plate boundary.

You get faults everywhere, not just near boundaries. I still wouldn't rule out dykes.

Pretty amazing features, showing that we still have a long way to go before understanding and it also suggest that things we think we know for sure, aint so.

On google Earth you can see that it is a canyon that has exploited two sets of lines of weakness at right angles to one another. My bet is still faults or dykes but I can't confirm. See if you can find the area on this geological map: http://geology.utah.gov/maps/geomap/parkmaps/pdf/M-87.pdf

Where can I find more background on geological dikes? Right now what I find basically says "dikes are intrusions that cut across a geological body". Well that's kind of circular - it doesn't explain what causes these formations to occur in the first place. Thanks.

Basically, when molten magma is on the move within Earth it squeezes upwards through the pre-existing rock. When it sets below the surface to form an igneous rock it is known as an intrusion. It can come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and it's known as a dyke where it is tabular in shape and cuts through beds of rock, rather than following the bedding planes. If the dyke is harder than the surrounding rock it will often stand up as a ridge. If softer, it will erode more easily and form a furrow, valley etc...

Does that clear things up?

Err, but what causes it to be in straight lines like this?

I'm certainly no expert on geomorphology, but I'd say they are faults.

If they are dykes, then they are probably still faults because dykes are basically just igneaus intrusions along pre-existing lines of weakness which are usually faults anyway.

Also, I would normally expect dykes to form ridges, because they tend to be composed of stuff that is more resistant to weathering than the surrounding "country" rock. To me those lines of weakness look like topographic lows, or valleys, although I am aware that to the untrained eye these images can be deceiving, so, I'd guess they are faults.

billiards said:
I'm certainly no expert on geomorphology, but I'd say they are faults.

That fact, that Northern and South America made uniform Euroasian continent to a science it is known for a long time, Dynamic model
has proved why there was break Ms and in general the description of a consequence of a divergence of continents; a photo no.3
where the topography of a bottom of Atlantic is shown has allowed to specify the following details: from the basic continent Euroasian
after break Ms parts of Southern and Northern America were separated and under action of centripetal force have started to leave,
there has not come yet dynamic balance in system of weights (Ms/magma/nucleus of planet); after that there were conditions for
the beginnings of processes III natural phenomenon; the conclusion:в the period "stone" from here follows when the continent Euroasian made a single whole of Atlantic ocean was not, after break Ms and during removal of parts of the American continents was formed
the crack which was filled by viscous weight of an intermediate layer which distinctly allocated now at the bottom of Atlantic; such
in the image of DM has proved changes in a final phase "stone", "bronze" and "iron" periods

What is the significance of large parallel slashes through topography?

Large parallel slashes through topography are a common feature seen in geological surveys and maps. These slashes represent geological faults or breaks in the Earth's crust, where rocks on either side have moved in relation to each other. They can also indicate areas of tectonic activity, such as where two plates are colliding or sliding past each other.

How are large parallel slashes through topography formed?

Large parallel slashes through topography are formed through a process called faulting. This occurs when there is stress on the Earth's crust, causing rocks to break and move along a fault line. The movement can be horizontal, vertical, or a combination of both. Over time, this movement can create visible features on the Earth's surface, such as cliffs, canyons, and mountain ranges.

Can large parallel slashes through topography be dangerous?

In some cases, large parallel slashes through topography can be dangerous. Fault lines can cause earthquakes, which can result in damage to buildings and other structures. They can also disrupt natural resources, such as water and gas pipelines, and impact the stability of slopes and hillsides. It is important for scientists and engineers to study and monitor these features to better understand and mitigate potential risks.

What tools are used to study large parallel slashes through topography?

Scientists use a variety of tools to study large parallel slashes through topography. These may include geological maps, satellite imagery, aerial photography, and LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology. Ground-based techniques such as seismic surveys, drilling, and trenching can also provide valuable information about the structure and movement of these features.

Are large parallel slashes through topography always visible on the Earth's surface?

Large parallel slashes through topography are not always visible on the Earth's surface. In some cases, they may be buried beneath layers of sediment or obscured by vegetation. However, scientists can use various techniques, such as ground-penetrating radar, to detect and map these features even when they are not visible. This information can help in understanding the potential hazards associated with fault lines.