Laser Beam and index of refraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
skibum143
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A laser beam enters a 10.0cm thick glass window at an angle of 30 degrees from the normal. The index of refraction of the glass is 1.46. At what angle from the normal does the beam travel through the glass?


Homework Equations


sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n1 / n2 = v1 / v2

The Attempt at a Solution


sin (30) / sin theta 2 = 1 / 1.46
theta 2= 46.89 degrees

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I also tried 90 deg - 46.89 = 43.11 deg but that was also wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

Homework Equations


sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n1 / n2 = v1 / v2

No, sin theta 1 / sin theta 2 = n2 / n1. You can also remember it as n1*sin(theta1)=n2*sin(theta2), which I find easier to use.