Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser cooling techniques

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    I wish to know more about the latest laser cooling techniques. I have heard about the use of radio waves to cool the laser. Can anyone throw more light upon it?

Is there any latest technique in use these days to cool Nd:YAG laser ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

'laser cooling' generally means using laser light to cool an object, not thermal management of the actual laser. Do you have an application in mind?

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Atomic clock?

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ok... so I assume you are referring to NIST's recent efforts in changing the standard clock from a Cesium rf-based measurement to a (IIRC) Mercury ion optical transition, and how cooling the ions increases the precision.

Yes?

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    No. I am referring to the laser cooled cesuim fountain clock which, I think, is the clock used at present in the US. http://tf.nist.gov/cesium/fountain.htm

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6
    well, I think I did not put the question in a comprehensible form.
    Let me put it this way ..
    Most energy that goes into the laser does not emerge in the beam, all this energy does not vanish, most becomes heat, which must be removed from the laser. Techniques like convection cooling by air can remove waste heat from low power lasers, but as the power (and the waste heat) levels increase,so do the cooling requirements. I am particularly interested in these or any other latest technique in use these days for removal of waste heat in high power Nd:YAG lasers.

8. Apr 6, 2009 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Nothing fancy, AFAIK. Water-cooling, maybe. My Nd:YAG sits on a heat sink, which is thermally coupled to the bench.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook