Laser or the torchlight does not bend 90 degrees?

In summary, a situation is described where a friend has a red laser or torchlight shining across a room and you are standing to the side, perpendicular to the light beam. Although light typically travels in a straight line, you are still able to see the light shining across the room. This is because the dust particles in the air scatter some of the light, allowing it to reach your eyes. Additionally, a question is posed about what happens when two laser beams intersect. The answer is that there is no collision, but instead a superposition of light waves. The conversation also touches on techniques for finding laser beams, including using smoke or vapor to make them visible. Finally, the concept of diffraction is briefly mentioned, as observed in an imp
touqra
Consider a situation where a friend have a red laser or a torchlight shining across the room. And you are standing at the side, perpendicular to the light beam. If light traverse in a straight line, why is that you can see the light shining across the room when you know that the light that comes out from the laser or the torchlight does not bend 90 degrees?

Science news on Phys.org
touqra said:
Consider a situation where a friend have a red laser or a torchlight shining across the room. And you are standing at the side, perpendicular to the light beam. If light traverse in a straight line, why is that you can see the light shining across the room when you know that the light that comes out from the laser or the torchlight does not bend 90 degrees?

Hint: do you think you will see the light beam going across if, instead, this was done in a good vacuum (10^-5 torr would be sufficient)?

Zz.

P.S. Eeek! If I knew that you were also going to SPAM this question in other parts of PF, I wouldn't have responded.

ZapperZ said:
Hint: do you think you will see the light beam going across if, instead, this was done in a good vacuum (10^-5 torr would be sufficient)?

Zz.

P.S. Eeek! If I knew that you were also going to SPAM this question in other parts of PF, I wouldn't have responded.

I'm new here and I don't know where this question should go.

Why is it that you can't see the light beam if it is in a vacuum? Do you mean dust particles in the way of the beam scattered some of the light away from the original straight direction and traverse into our eyes?

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct.

By the same token, how do you find laser beams? You spray smoke throughout the room. Haven't you seen this technique done in movies? The burglar enters the office, and sprays the interior with smoke from a can. The laser light beams magically appear.

JohnDubYa said:
By the same token, how do you find laser beams? You spray smoke throughout the room. Haven't you seen this technique done in movies? The burglar enters the office, and sprays the interior with smoke from a can. The laser light beams magically appear.

Ooops my bad. I overlook this.
I have one more question.
If let say the red laser is still shining across the room. But on top of that, another blue laser is also shining, but it is traversing perpendicular to the red laser beam. So, there would be a point, where both laser beam will meet each other. What actually happen at this point of collision?

touqra said:
I have one more question.
If let say the red laser is still shining across the room. But on top of that, another blue laser is also shining, but it is traversing perpendicular to the red laser beam. So, there would be a point, where both laser beam will meet each other. What actually happen at this point of collision?
Nothing at all. There is no collision.

Wouldn't there be a superposition of waves destructive or constructive?

JohnDubYa said:

In the movies, maybe. Anyone doing that in an optics lab would be rudely introduced to some high-voltage equipment.

Wouldn't there be a superposition of light waves, destructive or constructive?

swansont said:
In the movies, maybe. Anyone doing that in an optics lab would be rudely introduced to some high-voltage equipment.
Humm... My first optics/Laser class was done will smoking inside was PC. When we needed a beam finder the PROFFESSOR would light up a cig and start blowing smoke.

Integral said:
Humm... My first optics/Laser class was done will smoking inside was PC. When we needed a beam finder the PROFFESSOR would light up a cig and start blowing smoke.

Ack! That's a class, though. That wouldn't make him too popular with any grad students he might have, had their research been messed up by that. There was one prof I know who wouldn't let a student in who had smoked unless she had showered and changed clothes since - he was worried about anything that might have been collected by her clothes or her hair. (dye laser with frequency doubling)

When we wanted to show off our beams we got ahold of some dry ice or liquid nitrogen and used the condensing vapor.

i shone a red laser through a prism then through the gap on some nail clippers as i reduced the gap manually and onto my wall, the laser dot reduced to a wide straight line as i reduced the clipper gap, brighter in the middle but the line was rotated 90deg to the orientation of the nail clipper slot. why is that? have i just carried out a very inpromptu diffraction experiment?

bootsam said:
i shone a red laser through a prism then through the gap on some nail clippers as i reduced the gap manually and onto my wall, the laser dot reduced to a wide straight line as i reduced the clipper gap, brighter in the middle but the line was rotated 90deg to the orientation of the nail clipper slot. why is that? have i just carried out a very inpromptu diffraction experiment?

Sounds like it. Did you notice any minima or maxima?

1. Why does a laser or torchlight not bend 90 degrees?

A laser or torchlight does not bend 90 degrees because of the principle of reflection. When light travels from one medium to another, it changes speed and direction. In order for light to bend 90 degrees, it would have to change direction twice, which is not possible without an external force.

2. Can a laser or torchlight be bent at all?

Yes, a laser or torchlight can be bent, but not at a 90 degree angle. This is because light can only be bent at a certain angle, known as the critical angle, which depends on the properties of the medium it is passing through.

3. What determines how much a laser or torchlight can be bent?

The amount a laser or torchlight can be bent is determined by the refractive index of the medium it is passing through. The higher the refractive index, the more the light will bend.

4. Is it possible to make a laser or torchlight bend 90 degrees?

No, it is not possible to make a laser or torchlight bend 90 degrees without an external force. Even with a strong external force, it would be difficult to achieve a 90 degree bend without the light being scattered or diffused.

5. Are there any materials that can make a laser or torchlight bend 90 degrees?

No, there are no materials that can make a laser or torchlight bend 90 degrees due to the principles of reflection and refraction. However, there are materials such as prisms that can redirect light at different angles, but not a 90 degree bend.