1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser pointer life

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I have a keychain-type red laser pointer (5mW typical type) and I was using it for something when all of the sudden it is really dim. Even if I bump up the voltage it is still dim and I'm suspecting it is fried. I overvolted it for about 2 sec with a weak 5v source off an arduino but it worked fine after that, just today it went dim. Is there a way to "revive" it or is it done for good? Getting a new laser would involve building new mounts etc and it takes a lot of time, plus I need to have this done by the end of this week or sooner.

I don't know how lasers work but can make it go dim like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Is there a circuit attached to the end of it? If yes, the burn out or malfunction of any component might have caused this. If not, There might be a leakage through a small hole. They are filled with gas.(if it is a gas laser. If its of other type, I cant be more useful).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook