Laser Power vs Energy: Solving the Mystery

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a laser that can deliver a single 3mJ, 10nS pulse. They have found that most laser specs report power in watts rather than energy in mJ, leading to confusion and a calculation of 300kW for the needed laser power. However, it is determined that the rating for power delivered is separate from power consumed and that pulse lasers have a spec for energy per pulse and rep rate rather than average power. The conversation also touches on the concept of Q-switched lasers and the difficulty in determining the energy per pulse for a laser with unknown rep rate. Ultimately, the formula for calculating laser diode power ratings is needed for a project on pipeline leak detection using fiber
DanSandberg
I feel like a moron for not knowing the answer to this.

I'm looking for a laser that can deliver a single 3mJ, 10nS pulse. Most of the laser specs I've found report the laser power in watts rather than the energy in mJ. So I did the following calculation:

3mJ/10nS=3x105J/S=300kW

But there is no possible way I need a 300kW laser! The lasers that typically deliver these sort of 3mJ, 10nS pulses are rated as 10W, 30W, or maybe 200W. Definitely not over 1000W! So where has my calculation gone astray?

Science news on Phys.org
Your calculation is correct. 3 mJ in 10 nS is indeed a power of 300 kW.

Are the power ratings for the lasers ratings for power consumed or power delivered? If you have a 300 W power supply and run it at a duty cycle of less than 1/1000 then you could potentially get a pulse like what you describe (neglecting losses).

There are separate ratings for power delivered and power consumed. I'm looking at the power delivered. Hmm... when I get to the bottom of this I'll post again.

I know, for example, that we have a 10Hz laser that produces 3mJ per 10nS pulse. So, over a 1 second period a total of 30mJ has been delivered, thus 30mW of power. However, if you look at each pulse by itself, for those 10nS the laser sustained a power rating of 300kW. Problem is, what about CW lasers (versus pulsed)? So rep rate plays an a role to some extent but I'm not sure what the convention is when I'm looking at these laser spec sheets.

Pulse lasers will normally have a spec in terms of energy per pulse and rep rate rather than average power.
Remember in your calculation you have 300KW for 10ns. But if you only get 1 pulse per second then that is 300,000 * 10/1,000,000,000 = 3mW

You normally use something like a Q-switched laser which can build up laser energy in the cavity and then emit a pulse when it reaches a certain level - with these systems essentailly all the average power goes into the pulses.
So a 300KW peak with a 10ns pulse every microsec = duty cycle of 1% = 3KW laser power and probably around 6-8KW wall power

mgb_phys said:
Pulse lasers will normally have a spec in terms of energy per pulse and rep rate rather than average power.
Remember in your calculation you have 300KW for 10ns. But if you only get 1 pulse per second then that is 300,000 * 10/1,000,000,000 = 3mW

You normally use something like a Q-switched laser which can build up laser energy in the cavity and then emit a pulse when it reaches a certain level - with these systems essentailly all the average power goes into the pulses.
So a 300KW peak with a 10ns pulse every microsec = duty cycle of 1% = 3KW laser power and probably around 6-8KW wall power

Right - agreed. I understand all that and I understand the concept of a Q-Switched laser. My question is when a spec sheet for a laser says 100W of power and, let's say, indicates one 10nS pulse is triggerable per second - does that mean that I'm getting 1 microjoule?

Ok that is what I figured. So... without knowing the rep rate you can't possibly figure out the energy per pulse. So for the attached spec sheet from a laser company, they report a CW power and a pulsed power but no rep rate. Now the CW power is 20W and the pulsed power is 16W. I doubt that the pulsed power is lower than the CW power, right?

You see what I am saying? It is really ambiguous IMO to see power ratings, rep rates, and pulse durations and try to figure out if this laser can meet me needs, i.e. a 3mJ 10nS pulse.

Attachments

• DS06298029.1_Osprey.pdf
    534.7 KB · Views: 852
I'm guessing it can run either 20W continuous or 16W q-switched (you waste a bit of energy)
Then you need to know the pulse width and rep-rate to get the energy, or the pulse width and pulse energy to get rep-rate.

Normally they quote the pulse width and pulse energy because that's what the measurement is concerned with - the rep rate is just a matter of more power (and money)

mgb_phys said:
I'm guessing it can run either 20W continuous or 16W q-switched (you waste a bit of energy)
Then you need to know the pulse width and rep-rate to get the energy, or the pulse width and pulse energy to get rep-rate.

Normally they quote the pulse width and pulse energy because that's what the measurement is concerned with - the rep rate is just a matter of more power (and money)

Right and we only need a single shot (so not need to concern ourselves with a max rep rate anyway). Ok, so like I thought I didn't have enough information to solve the problem.

I think you need to convert mJ to J in your calculation then you can come up with 300W instead of 300kW.

any buddy tell me the formula to calculate a laser diode power ratings. . .i am doing a project on pipeline leak detection using fiber optics. . .need ur urgent help

1. What is the difference between laser power and energy?

Laser power refers to the rate at which energy is delivered by a laser, typically measured in watts. Energy, on the other hand, refers to the total amount of light emitted by the laser, measured in joules. In simpler terms, power is the speed at which energy is used, while energy is the total amount of work done.

2. How are laser power and energy related?

Laser power and energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the power of a laser increases, the energy it emits also increases. However, the relationship between power and energy can vary depending on the type of laser, its settings, and the materials being used.

3. How do laser power and energy affect the performance of a laser?

The power and energy of a laser can greatly impact its performance. A higher power laser can cut through thicker materials and at a faster speed, while a lower power laser may be more suitable for engraving or marking. Similarly, a higher energy laser can produce a more intense beam, while a lower energy laser may have a more precise and controlled output.

4. Can the power and energy of a laser be adjusted?

Yes, the power and energy of a laser can often be adjusted through the laser's settings or by changing the materials or lenses used. This allows for versatility in the use of lasers and the ability to optimize their performance for different tasks.

5. What factors can affect the power and energy of a laser?

The power and energy of a laser can be affected by a variety of factors such as the type of laser being used, the settings and controls, the materials being used, the environment and temperature, and the condition of the laser's components. It is important for scientists and technicians to carefully consider and monitor these factors to ensure safe and efficient laser operation.