Last question in my assignment

• Thread starter Rusty789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the problem asks to determine the approximate error in calculating the shear stress in a shaft under torque, given that the torque is measured 3% too small and the diameter is measured 1.5% too large. The solution involves using differentiation to calculate the total differential of t and substituting the given error values to find the approximate percentage difference. This topic may be a preview of the next unit on differentiation.
Rusty789
Firstly I have no idea how to tackle this one, I am not sure if we've been taught it yet or if its sort of a lead on to the next set of topics..

Homework Statement

The shear stress t in a shaft of diameter D under torque T is given by t = KT / [tex]\Pi[/tex]D3.

Determine the approximate error in calculating t if T is measure 3% too small and D is measured 1.5% to large.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

As previously stated i don't know how to handle this one, so any advice will be great.

Also i don't want to know the answer, i would like to know how to work it out..

EDIT:

My first theory was to put numbers in do the actual calculation twice with physical number and compare the difference but that didnt work. e.g. (although it did this time around, so I am now completely confused)

Completely random values.

t = 3*10/3.14*103 = 9.554*10-3

then do:

t = 3*9.7/3.14*10.153 = 8.862*10-3

This gives a percentage difference of 7.243%

t = (3*154)/(3.14*563) = 8.378*10-3

t = (3*149.38)/(3.14*56.843) ) =7.772*10-3

this gives a percentage difference of 7.233%

Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rusty789 said:
Firstly I have no idea how to tackle this one, I am not sure if we've been taught it yet or if its sort of a lead on to the next set of topics..

Homework Statement

The shear stress t in a shaft of diameter D under torque T is given by t = KT / [tex]\Pi[/tex]D3.

Determine the approximate error in calculating t if T is measure 3% too small and D is measured 1.5% to large.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

As previously stated i don't know how to handle this one, so any advice will be great.

Also i don't want to know the answer, i would like to know how to work it out..

EDIT:

My first theory was to put numbers in do the actual calculation twice with physical number and compare the difference but that didnt work. e.g. (although it did this time around, so I am now completely confused)

Completely random values.

t = 3*10/3.14*103 = 9.554*10-3

then do:

t = 3*9.7/3.14*10.153 = 8.862*10-3

This gives a percentage difference of 7.243%

t = (3*154)/(3.14*563) = 8.378*10-3

t = (3*149.38)/(3.14*56.843) ) =7.772*10-3

this gives a percentage difference of 7.233%

Is this right?
Am I correct in assuming that you are in a calculus course? The right way to do this type of problem is to calculate the total differential of t, which will involve taking the partials with respect to T and with respect to D.

IOW,
[tex]dt = \frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\frac{KT}{\pi D^3}\right)dT + \frac{\partial}{\partial D}\left(\frac{KT}{\pi D^3}\right)dD [/tex]

I have started this for you, but you will need to use other differentiation rules to finish it. Your textbook should have some similar examples.

I'm doing HNC in electronics, and this unit is called analytical methods.

I don't know what HNC is. What I showed in my previous post is the usual way of going about problems like this. You can substitute -.03 for dT and +.015 for dD, but you will need to know how to differentiate to get the partial derivatives I showed.

Its a higher national certificate, a british thing, I'm right in thinking this is mainly american?

Differentiation is definitely part of the next topic so maybe it was just to see how we'd handle it..

Rusty789 said:
Its a higher national certificate, a british thing, I'm right in thinking this is mainly american?
Do you mean "mainly British"? AFAIK, we don't have such a thing here in the States.
Rusty789 said:
Differentiation is definitely part of the next topic so maybe it was just to see how we'd handle it..
You will first be presented ordinary differentiation (differentiation of functions with one variables). After that would come partial differentiation (differentiation of functions with two or more variables).

What is the purpose of the last question in my assignment?

The purpose of the last question in your assignment is to summarize and reinforce the key concepts and ideas that you have learned throughout the assignment. It also allows you to reflect on your understanding and apply it to a specific scenario or problem.

How should I approach the last question in my assignment?

The best approach for the last question in your assignment is to carefully read and analyze the question, making sure you understand the context and what is being asked. Then, use the knowledge and skills you have acquired from the assignment to formulate a well-reasoned and supported answer.

Is the last question in my assignment more important than the others?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific assignment and its objectives. However, the last question is often designed to challenge your understanding and critical thinking skills, so it may carry more weight in terms of grading. It is important to give each question in an assignment the appropriate amount of attention and effort.

Should I leave the last question in my assignment for last?

It is not necessarily recommended to leave the last question in your assignment for last. It is important to manage your time effectively and tackle each question in a logical order. However, if you feel more confident and comfortable answering the last question first, then that is also a valid approach.

What should I do if I don't know the answer to the last question in my assignment?

If you are unsure about the answer to the last question in your assignment, do not panic. Take a moment to review your notes and the resources provided for the assignment. If you are still unsure, you can reach out to your instructor or classmates for clarification. It is important to not leave the last question unanswered, as it may affect your overall understanding and grade for the assignment.