In summary: You can use the preview function to make sure the latex is working properly before you post.In summary, the linear transformation T: [P][/2]→[R][/3] is defined by T(1+x)= (1,3,1), T(1-x)= (-1,1,1), and T(1-[x][/2])=(-1,2,0). To find T(1), T(x), and T([x][/2]), we use the given values of T and linearity properties. The matrix representation of T relative to the standard bases is -1 2 1 2 2 -2 2 0 0. Let B={1,x,[x][/2]} and
Eleni

Homework Statement

Suppose a linear transformation T: [P][/2]→[R][/3] is defined by

T(1+x)= (1,3,1), T(1-x)= (-1,1,1) and T(1-[x][/2])=(-1,2,0)

a) use the given values of T and linearity properties to find T(1), T(x) and T([x][/2])
b) Find the matrix representation of T (relative to standard bases)
c) Let B={1,x,[x][/2]} and p=3-x-2[x][/2]. Find [p][/B]
d) Find T(3-x-2[x][/2]) in two different ways.
  • directly using part (a) and the linearity of T, and
  • calculating [T][[P]][/B]
e) is T an isomorphism? Explain. If it is an isomorphism, find [T][/-1]
f) Find all polynomials in [p][/2] that solve T(p)= (5,0,-2)

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) T(1)= (1)(1,3,1) + (1)(-1, 1, 1) +(1)(-1,2,0)
= (1,3,1)+(-1,1,1)+(-1,2,0)
= (-1,2,2)
T(x) = (1)(1,3,1) + (-1)(-1, 1, 1) +(0)(-1,2,0)
= (1,3,1)+(1,-1,-1)+(0,0,0)
= (2,2,0)
T([x][/2])= (0)(1,3,1) + (0)(-1, 1, 1) +(-1)(-1,2,0)
= (0,0,0)+(0,0,0)+(1,-2,0)
= (1,-2,0)
b) Since from part (a) The matrix representation of T relative to the standard bases is;

-1 2 1
2 2 -2
2 0 0

(I feel like I need to do more here but I'm not sure what).

c)Let B={1,x,[x][/2]} and p= 3-x+2[x][/2].

[p][/B] =(3,-1, 2)

(again I feel as if this was too simple and something is missing)

d) Find T(3-x-2[x][/2]) directly;
from part (a)
T(1)= (-1,2,2)
T(x)= (2,2,0)
T([x][/2])= (1,-1,0)

So T(3x-x+2[x][/2]) = (3)(-1,2,2) +(-1)(2,2,0)+(2)(1,-1,0)
= (-3,6,6)+(-2,-2,0)+(2,-2,0)
= (-3,2,6)

Calculating [T][[P]][/B];

-1 2 1 3 = -3
2 2 -1 -1 2
2 0 0 2 6
[T] [[P]][/B] =[T][[P]][/B]

I don't know where to begin with e) and f) they both look like the should be quite straight forward and just follow a formula or apply a theorem but I don't know what it would be. Any revisions to the work I have done so far are thoroughly appreciated and advice on how to approach and complete the parts I haven't attempted are warmly welcomed too. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is unclear. Are you trying to write latex? If so you need to enclose it within delimiters, such as double-# to open and close the code for in-line latex and double-$ to open and close for stand-alone 'display' latex.

But even with delimiters, the code you are writing doesn't look like correct latex.

So far as I can tell your function T maps from the module of polynomials of order two or less to the module (in fact vector space) ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Your answers to (a) and (b) look to take the correct approach (I didn't check results though), and I don't think you need to do any more on (b) than what you've written.

But from (c) onwards the notation becomes too hard to decipher. Can you try re-posting using proper latex? There's a primer here.

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving its linear structure. This means that the transformation must satisfy two properties: additivity and homogeneity.

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective linear transformation, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. It represents a one-to-one correspondence between two vector spaces, and preserves all algebraic properties between the spaces.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and an isomorphism?

A linear transformation may or may not be an isomorphism, depending on whether it is one-to-one and onto. A linear transformation that is not an isomorphism may distort the structure of the vector space, while an isomorphism preserves all properties.

How do you determine if a linear transformation is an isomorphism?

To determine if a linear transformation is an isomorphism, you can use the Invertible Matrix Theorem. This theorem states that a linear transformation is an isomorphism if and only if its standard matrix is invertible.

What are some real-world applications of linear transformations and isomorphisms?

Linear transformations and isomorphisms have various applications in the fields of mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical structures, and financial markets. They are also essential in data compression and encryption algorithms.