Latches and flip flops - how is stable state defined?

In summary, stable state in this context refers to a situation in which a system will return to its original state after a perturbation is introduced.
Same-same
Latches and flip flops - how is "stable state" defined?

My textbook and professor both make numerous references to "stable state" of a latch of flip-flop, but never actually define it.
It's not intuitive. For instance, if the present output Q is 0, and we input S=1 and R =0, the circuit's next state, Q+ , is 1, and this is a stable configuration, but the textbook says this is not a stable state.
So what does "stable state" actually mean in this context?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of how the application of a steady state 1-0 or 0-1 input to an S-R latch (using nor2 or nand2 gates) can result in an unstable state except during the period of transition. But I expect the textbook is correct and I am missing some information. Perhaps it is referring to the transient state during which the output is 1-1 (nand) or 0-0 (nor) due to propagation delays.

Same-same said:
My textbook and professor both make numerous references to "stable state" of a latch of flip-flop, but never actually define it.
It's not intuitive. For instance, if the present output Q is 0, and we input S=1 and R =0, the circuit's next state, Q+ , is 1, and this is a stable configuration, but the textbook says this is not a stable state.
So what does "stable state" actually mean in this context?
I'd need you to sketch the gate arrangement to be sure, but I think you will find that a state which exists only while it is forced by the continued presence of a peculiar input is considered not a stable state. A stable memory state is one that will be maintained even when the inputs revert to their inactive/neutral level (the STORAGE state).

I can't comment on any distinction re a "stable configuration" vs "stable state"

The word 'stability' can refer to several different things. This can lead to confusion.
Stability, in this context usually refers to a situation in which, when a small perturbation is introduced, a system will return to its original state. In electronics, you can get stability with positive feedback (as with a simple 'bistable' circuit - Google gives dozens of hits). Stability in this sense requires some non-linearity. Once the bistable circuit is in one state (i.e. the output is hi or lo) then the input signal needs to cross a certain threshold value for the state to change - then the output state will swing to the other stable state. So the input output characteristic will be a 'step'.
A Schmitt trigger is another circuit which has 'hysteresis' which is a decision making circuit that cuts out the effect of low level noise on a signal. Once the input reaches a certain level, the Schmitt 'decides' it's high enough in level so it 'flips', the input signal then needs to go to a significantly low level before it decides to flip back.

In the context of latches and flip flops, a stable state is defined as a state where the output remains constant and does not change even when the input changes. This means that the output Q will remain at the same value until a new input is received. In the example given, when S=1 and R=0, the output Q will remain at 1 until a new input is received. This is considered a stable state because the output remains unchanged despite a change in the input. However, in a non-stable state, the output may change even without a change in the input, which can lead to unpredictable behavior in the circuit. Therefore, a stable state is an important concept in latches and flip flops as it ensures the reliability and predictability of the circuit's behavior.

1. What are latches and flip flops?

Latches and flip flops are electronic circuits that are used to store a single bit of information. They are commonly used in digital systems, such as computers, to hold data and perform various operations.

2. How is a stable state defined for latches and flip flops?

A stable state for latches and flip flops is the state in which the stored information remains unchanged until a new input is applied. This means that the output of the circuit will remain constant until a new input is received.

3. What factors affect the stability of latches and flip flops?

The stability of latches and flip flops is affected by factors such as the design of the circuit, the type of logic gates used, and any external noise or interference. These factors can cause the circuit to change states unexpectedly and affect its stability.

4. How are latches and flip flops different from each other?

Latches and flip flops are two different types of circuits that are used for storage. Latches have a level-sensitive input and are transparent, meaning the output changes immediately with the input. Flip flops, on the other hand, have an edge-triggered input and are not transparent, meaning the output changes only on the rising or falling edge of the input signal.

5. What are some common applications of latches and flip flops?

Latches and flip flops are widely used in various digital systems, including computers, calculators, and other electronic devices. They are also used in communication systems, control systems, and data storage devices. Additionally, they are used in more complex circuits, such as counters, registers, and memory units.