Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latent Heat of Fusion

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    Please see the attached Word file.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say "I am not real sure exactly how to use it [the formula for latent heat of fusion] to find the average of some data." What exactly are you trying to find? Heat of fusion has nothing to do with "finding an average".

4. Jun 21, 2004 #3
    Well I just need to find the latent heat of all 3 of them, and then just average them all together. I thought I plugged everything in right, but when I tried to submit my answer it said that it was wrong. I just need to know where to plug everything in at.
    Thanks

5. Jun 22, 2004 #4
    Or maybe, another website I could go to that would help me with this. I have tried some, but they didn't work for me.
    Thanks

6. Jun 22, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so you really have two problems: first use "Mw*Cw*(Tw-T) = Mi*Ci*(T-Ti)+L*Mi" to find the Latent Head of Fusion in each of the three cases, then add those values and divide by 3.

7. Jun 22, 2004 #6
    Well i guess my real problem is what is the mass of water. I know the volume (4 cups). I don't know what Cw is. I think Tw is temp of water. I think T is the final Temperater. Mi is I assume Mass of the ice. Not sure what Ci is. Again I believe that Tis the final Temperature and Ti is the temp of the ice. L is the Latent heat and Mi is the mass of ice again. Is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?