Loading LaTeX Packages: What Do I Need?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, a LaTeX package is a collection of files that add new commands and features for typesetting documents. To load a package, use the \usepackage command in the document's preamble. For basic document formatting, necessary packages include geometry, fontenc, inputenc, and babel. It is possible to create your own LaTeX package, but it is recommended to only do so if there is not already an existing package that meets your needs. Packages can be loaded at any point in the document, but it is best to load them in the preamble before writing to avoid conflicts or errors.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Is it difficult to load additional LaTeX packages?
I'm asking because I recently missed St Mary Road: \usepackage{ stmaryrd }

I'm not quite sure where it has to happen, server or client side or both, however, my tex editor has it. I'm not so sure whether the browser needs additional modifications.

Physics news on Phys.org
We don’t use latex but mathjax which uses latex syntax. Have a look at their website for documentation :)

What is a LaTeX package?

A LaTeX package is a collection of files that contain additional commands and features for typesetting documents using LaTeX. These packages can be loaded into your document to provide new functionality or modify existing commands.

How do I load a LaTeX package?

To load a package, you can use the \usepackage command in your document's preamble. This command takes the name of the package as its argument and can also include any options or settings for the package.

What packages do I need for basic document formatting?

For basic document formatting, you will likely need the following packages:

• geometry: for setting page margins and layout
  • fontenc: for selecting font encoding
  • inputenc: for specifying input encoding
  • babel: for multilingual support

Can I create my own LaTeX package?

Yes, you can create your own LaTeX package by writing a .sty file with your desired commands and features, and then including it in your document using the \usepackage command. However, it is recommended to only create a new package if there is not already an existing one that meets your needs.

Do I need to load all packages before I start writing my document?

No, you can load packages at any point in your document. However, it is good practice to load all necessary packages in the preamble before starting your document to avoid any conflicts or errors.