Latex Troubleshoot: Sizing \mid Signs

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Sizing
In summary, the conversation on the Analysis Forum discusses a failed attempt to use Latex code for resizing \mid signs. The code is modified to use \vert instead, which is able to take a size-modifying prefix. The person seeking help confirms that this is what they were looking for.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In a recent post on the Analysis Forum I tried the following Latex code in order to size the \mid signs ...\left\mid \frac{f_j ( a + h ) - f_j (a)}{ h } - x_j \right\mid^2 \le \| \frac{ f( a + h ) - f(a) }{ h } - ( x_1, \ ... \ ... \ , x_m ) \|^2
The code failed ... but why?Can someone please help ... Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
[m]\mid[/m] is constructed as a relation symbol and is not set up to take a size-modifying prefix. Try using:

\(\displaystyle \left\vert \frac{f_j ( a + h ) - f_j (a)}{ h } - x_j \right\vert^2 \le \| \frac{ f( a + h ) - f(a) }{ h } - ( x_1, \ ... \ ... \ , x_m ) \|^2 \)

Is that what you were after?

MarkFL said:
[m]\mid[/m] is constructed as a relation symbol and is not set up to take a size-modifying prefix. Try using:

\(\displaystyle \left\vert \frac{f_j ( a + h ) - f_j (a)}{ h } - x_j \right\vert^2 \le \| \frac{ f( a + h ) - f(a) }{ h } - ( x_1, \ ... \ ... \ , x_m ) \|^2 \)

Is that what you were after?
Yes, Mark ... exactly the help I needed!

Thanks ...

Peter

What is the purpose of using \mid signs in LaTeX?

The \mid symbol in LaTeX is used to represent the mathematical symbol for "such that." It is commonly used in sets and functions to indicate the condition or property that elements must have in order to be included in the set or satisfy the function.

Why am I having trouble with the sizing of \mid signs in my LaTeX document?

The sizing of \mid signs in LaTeX can be affected by a number of factors, such as the font size, document class, or other packages being used. It is important to check these factors and make sure they are consistent throughout your document to ensure proper sizing of \mid signs.

How can I change the size of \mid signs in my LaTeX document?

To change the size of \mid signs in LaTeX, you can use the \left and \right commands before and after the symbol, respectively. This will automatically adjust the size of the \mid sign based on the surrounding elements. Alternatively, you can use the \mid command with specific sizing options, such as \big, \bigg, or \Bigg, to manually adjust the size.

Why are my \mid signs not displaying correctly in my PDF output?

If your \mid signs are not displaying correctly in your PDF output, it could be due to a font or encoding issue. Make sure you are using a compatible font and encoding for your document, and if necessary, try using a different font or encoding to see if that resolves the issue.

What should I do if I am still having trouble with sizing \mid signs in my LaTeX document?

If you are still having trouble with sizing \mid signs in your LaTeX document, you may want to consult online resources or forums for further assistance. It may also be helpful to double check your code and make sure there are no conflicting commands or packages that could be affecting the sizing of \mid signs.