LaTeX wrong on several websites

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Omega0
  • Start date
In summary: I can see that you have some experience with LaTeX. In summary, some websites, like physicsforums.com, show incorrect LaTeX content. This is a problem because it makes the posts unusable. I think that the problem might be with the way that the LaTeX is being interpreted.
Omega0
I am pretty disappointed that several websites like physicsforums.com do partly not show correct LaTeX content. So please let me know if I am doing something wrong. My standard is Windows 10 with Chrome. Same problem for Edge. For so many years I hadn't a problem but now that appears.

Physics news on Phys.org
Omega0 said:
I am pretty disappointed that several websites like physicsforums.com do partly not show correct LaTeX content. So please let me know if I am doing something wrong. My standard is Windows 10 with Chrome. Same problem for Edge. For so many years I hadn't a problem but now that appears.
Firstly, we use MathJax. But this means only that we cannot use all LaTeX commands. Secondly, do you have an example of what does not work?

Omega0 said:
So please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Have you checked the LaTeX Guide at the bottom left of the Edit window? Maybe you can see what the issue is by looking through that Guide?

1627599836516.png

fresh_42 said:
Firstly, we use MathJax. But this means only that we cannot use all LaTeX commands. Secondly, do you have an example of what does not work?
Sure, here the example for physicsforums.org:

latexbug2.jpg
latexbug2.jpg

As you can see it switches between different fonts and even messes up the information ##\pi/2## somehow... that is brutal, simply unusable.
I am not using "all LaTeX commands", just a few. This horrible result is the same for any of my computers, even for my Android tablet.

Omega0 said:
%%\pi/2%%
What are the % things?

berkeman said:
What are the % things?
sorry, ##\pi## inline LaTeX.

berkeman said:
What are the % things?
##\frac{1}{2}## let us see... $$\frac{2}{3}$$ next LaTeX test

Omega0 said:
Sure, here the example for physicsforums.org:

View attachment 286850View attachment 286851

As you can see it switches between different fonts and even messes up the information ##\pi/2## somehow... that is brutal, simply unusable.
I am not using "all LaTeX commands", just a few. This horrible result is the same for any of my computers, even for my Android tablet.
I meant a testable example. A screenshot isn't helpful.

I know that the preview function has some problems in case the post contains a quotation. Your screenshot looks as if the symbols have been inserted via the table of symbols and not as TeX commands. And I also know, that after an edit, the commands aren't interpreted again unless one updates the page.

Likes Omega0
fresh_42 said:
I meant a testable example. A screenshot isn't helpful.

I know that the preview function has some problems in case the post contains a quotation. Your screenshot looks as if the symbols have been inserted via the table of symbols and not as TeX commands. And I also know, that after an edit, the commands aren't interpreted again unless one updates the page.
Here my link: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/distribution-of-particles-given-a-function.1004530/

For me the LaTeX looks like in my screenshot. If it looks for you different, let me know. Actually I am playing with cleaning my browser cache but nothing seems to work so far. Test: ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/2## etc. Test: $$\theta(a)=\frac{\phi}{\pi} \sin(a)$$

As if I would need to "reininstall my browser LaTeX"

Omega0 said:
Here my link: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/distribution-of-particles-given-a-function.1004530/

For me the LaTeX looks like in my screenshot. If it looks for you different, let me know. Actually I am playing with cleaning my browser cache but nothing seems to work so far. Test: ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/2## etc. Test: $$\theta(a)=\frac{\phi}{\pi} \sin(a)$$

As if I would need to "reininstall my browser LaTeX"
I looked at it with my "edit" power to check the source and all those symbols haven't had LaTeX tags, hence it cannot be interpreted as LaTeX.

Likes Vanadium 50
fresh_42 said:
I looked at it with my "edit" power to check the source and all those symbols haven't had LaTeX tags, hence it cannot be interpreted as LaTeX.
You can use the "Reply" link to also see the source characters. They look okay to me I think...

1627603660603.png

Attachments

• 1627603627429.png
    1627603627429.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 108
fresh_42 said:
Have you any idea how it comes that my LaTex input isn't interpreted as LaTeX? I mean it is not my fault or is it?

berkeman said:
You can use the "Reply" link to also see the source characters. They look okay to me I think...
Edit is far better! I can cancel "edit" but I cannot cancel "reply". And if I look for too long, it is in that damn cache and shows up again when I expect it the least.

fresh_42 said:
Edit is far better! I can cancel "edit" but I cannot cancel "reply". And if I look for too long, it is in that damn cache and shows up again when I expect it the least.
Excellent point.

Omega0 said:
Have you any idea how it comes that my LaTex input isn't interpreted as LaTeX? I mean it is not my fault or is it?
It looks as if it was your fault because it was just 0≤Θ≤2π. I used the table of symbols in this case, instead of ##0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi##

P.S.: This can happen if the text is copied from another text by Ctrl+C.

Last edited:
##\frac{\pi}{2}##
fresh_42 said:
It looks as if it was your fault because it was just 0≤Θ≤2π. I used the table of symbols in this case, instead of ##0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi##

P.S.: This can happen if the text is copied from another text by Ctrl+C.
How did you do that to get the latex source to appear in your post instead of the latex render?

anorlunda said:
##\frac{\pi}{2}##

How did you do that to get the latex source to appear in your post instead of the latex render?
I tried PLAIN tags, but that did not work, so I used the good old color code:
#[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]#[/COLOR]\sqrt{2}[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]#[/COLOR]#

Of course, I didn't type that. I marked one of the two sharps and colored it black with the color icon.

fresh_42 said:
Of course, I didn't type that. I marked one of the two sharps and colored it black with the color icon.
Thanks! I would never have thought of something like that.

1. Why is LaTeX showing up incorrectly on some websites?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the website does not support LaTeX formatting, so it will not display properly. Another reason could be that the LaTeX code itself is incorrect or missing necessary packages. Lastly, it could be an issue with the browser or device you are using to view the website.

2. How can I fix incorrect LaTeX formatting on a website?

If the issue is with the website not supporting LaTeX, there is not much you can do except reach out to the website owner and request that they add support for it. If the issue is with the code, you can try checking for any errors or missing packages and make corrections as needed. If the issue is with your browser or device, try viewing the website on a different device or using a different browser.

3. Can I use LaTeX on any website?

No, not every website supports LaTeX formatting. It is typically used on websites that involve mathematical or scientific content, such as research papers or academic websites. Additionally, some websites may have specific requirements or restrictions for using LaTeX.

4. Is there a way to check if a website supports LaTeX?

Yes, you can usually find this information in the website's FAQ section or by contacting the website owner. Some websites may also have a preview or testing feature where you can input LaTeX code to see if it will display correctly.

5. Are there any alternatives to using LaTeX on websites?

Yes, there are some alternatives to using LaTeX on websites, such as MathJax or HTML formatting. However, these alternatives may not have the same level of customization and functionality as LaTeX. It is best to check with the website's guidelines or ask the website owner for their preferred method of formatting mathematical or scientific content.