Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    Hello -

I have a problem in general finding the region in which the Laurent series converges...

Could someone please help me with this question - I know that this is is meant to be easy (as there is no fully worked solution to this) but I dont understand it:

f(z) = 1/ [(z^3)*cosz]. The function has a Laurent series about z = 0 converging at Pi/4. What is the region in which this Laurent series converges?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When your textbook derived the Laurent expansion, what was the shape of the domain that the function had to be analytic in (it is complex analysis after all - isn't everything about being analytic?). What can cause a function to not have that property, and hence will make the series not converge?

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    I'm sorry Im not really understanding? I derived the expansion and then I didn't know what to do after that?

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He is saying that the series will converge until it hits a point at which the function is NOT analytic. This particular function, f(z)= 1/(z3cos(z)), is analytic except where the denominator is 0: z= 0 or z an odd multiple of [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. That is, the Laurent series around z= 0 converges for 0< |z|< [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

6. Nov 5, 2009 #5
    ahhh ok i understand - see i didnt even understand the theory behind it! i get it now - thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook