What are the laws of morality and who should define them?

• Thread starter Bin Qasim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and purpose of morality and whether laws of morality should exist. The definition of morality is given as a doctrine or system of ideas concerned with conduct, and the need for moral laws is explained as a means of knowing how to conduct ourselves in society. The conversation also considers the idea that nature should ultimately decide what moral codes say, based on scientific observations. However, the potential issue of constantly changing moral laws due to the evolution of science is also mentioned.
Bin Qasim
Hello everyone!

I have few questions.
1. What is exactly the definition of morality?
2. Why do we need some moral laws for the society?
3. If we do need laws of morality, then who should define such laws? A gov.??

I hope to get some answers about this issue.

peace out :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
What moral codes should say moral codes should say

Bin Qasim said:
1. What is exactly the definition of morality?
"A doctrine or system of ideas concerned with conduct." --M-W Unabridged 3.0, sense 3 a.

2. Why do we need some moral laws for the society?
So we know how to conduct ourselves. Raymond Cattell http://www.efn.org/~callen/ToC.htm, "So we know how to conduct ourselves in order to compete well against other societies and ultimately to pass nature's tests."

3. If we do need laws of morality, then who should define such laws?
That depends upon what ever higher moral codes say. Cattell implied that it is derivable from the scientific observation that has been done so far that ultimately nature should decide what moral codes say.

the post above gave a good definition of morals.

for question 2, my answer is that moral and ethical laws shouldn't exist: they are completely relative. But we, humans, are too stupid to live without laws (in strong-extremist-anarchism), for the moment...

I do agree with ur answers to no1 and 2. But I want to know what u meant when u said, "nature's law." Nature?? wat's that??

That depends upon what ever higher moral codes say. Cattell implied that it is derivable from the scientific observation that has been done so far that ultimately nature should decide what moral codes say.
Do u mean to say Science should be God, in religious terms? :rofl: Should we only based on scientific observations? experimentation? not sure what u meant. :smile:

btw I forgot to tell you one thing. If u depend on scientific observations for laws of morality, u may have to keep changing the laws as Science is 'evolving.'

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What exactly are the laws of morality?

The laws of morality are a set of principles or guidelines that dictate what is considered right and wrong in a society. These laws are based on shared values and beliefs, and are meant to regulate behavior and promote the well-being of individuals and society as a whole.

2. Who has the authority to define the laws of morality?

The laws of morality are typically defined by a combination of factors, including cultural norms, religious beliefs, and societal expectations. In some cases, governments may also play a role in defining and enforcing moral laws.

3. Are the laws of morality universal?

There is no consensus on whether the laws of morality are universal or if they vary across cultures and societies. Some argue that there are certain fundamental moral principles that are universal, while others believe that moral codes are relative and vary depending on cultural and societal context.

4. Can the laws of morality change over time?

Yes, the laws of morality can change over time as societies evolve and values and beliefs shift. For example, certain behaviors that were once considered morally acceptable may now be seen as immoral, such as slavery and discrimination.

5. What happens when there is a conflict between different moral laws?

When there is a conflict between different moral laws, it can lead to ethical dilemmas and debates. In these situations, it is important to consider the consequences and implications of each law and find a solution that aligns with the overall well-being of individuals and society.