Laws of nature, and creatures like us.

In summary, the conversation discusses the analogy of the universe being a computer, with the laws of nature as the software and matter, energy, space-time, and particles as the hardware. It also presents two claims: 1) the intelligence of a creature in the universe constraints the possible form of the laws of nature, and 2) the creature must be sufficiently smart to obtain the laws of nature. The conversation also addresses the question of why these ultimate laws hold in our world and the relationship between our cognitive ability and the simplicity of the laws.
vectorcube
The following is something i read, and attempt to reproduce. I made no claim for originality. For anyone that wants the title of the book, and page number. I will find it, and post it. ( I remember the author is an adjunt professor at rockefeller university)

The universe U is a computer. Under this analogy, the laws of nature is the software, and stuffs( matter, energy, space-time, particles) are the hardware.

Suppose a creature( ie: human) C in U( universe) found this ultimate law L( the laws of nature), such that L is the solfware of U.

Claim 1: The The intelligence of C constraint the possible form of the laws of nature.
The claim is that the intelligence of C to attain(found) L constraints the possible form of L. That is, L cannot be too complicated for C to find.

Claim 2: the creature needs to be sufficiently smart to obtain the laws of nature.
Suppose C is very smart, but to attain L. C needs to be sufficiently smart to found L. Therefore, there is a lower bound on how smart C needs to be to attain L.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see that it says anything. It has nothing to do with a computer model or laws of nature: a creature cannot discover something it is not smart enough to discover! That's a tautology.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see that it says anything. It has nothing to do with a computer model or laws of nature: a creature cannot discover something it is not smart enough to discover! That's a tautology.

It is saying something, and you obviously don` t know it( because you say so). Let me think of a nice explanation. Say we have some ultimate law L. One can ask why L hold in this world. That is to say, given we have L, it does tell us something about our cognitive ability. We are sufficiently smart. This is obvious, but we can also imagine being not smart enough. We might be able to find L by luck.

conversely, given our cognitive ability, and suppose we do find L, then it does tell us something about L, namely, it has to be simply enough for us to obtain. Does it have to be simple? Not really. The underlying law might be complicated, but we just happen to see something that is simple.

As you can see, it is not a tautology, since it denial does not commit any logical contradiction.

Last edited:

1. What are the laws of nature?

The laws of nature are fundamental principles that govern the physical and natural world. These laws describe how objects and energy behave in the universe and are based on observations and experiments.

2. How are laws of nature different from human laws?

Laws of nature are universal and apply to all objects and phenomena, while human laws are created and enforced by society to regulate human behavior. Laws of nature are also descriptive, while human laws are prescriptive.

3. Can laws of nature change?

While our understanding of laws of nature may evolve and improve over time, the laws themselves do not change. They are constant and unchanging principles that govern the universe.

4. What role do creatures like us play in the laws of nature?

Creatures like us, as part of the natural world, are subject to the laws of nature. Our existence and actions are influenced and constrained by these laws, but we also have the ability to observe, understand, and even manipulate them to some extent.

5. Are there exceptions to laws of nature?

While some phenomena may appear to go against certain laws of nature, these are not true exceptions. They are either not fully understood or are operating under different circumstances. The laws of nature are consistent and universally applicable.