Solving Set Algebra Equations: Demorgan's and Distributive Law Explained

De Morgan's law to simplify the equationIn summary, the conversation is about an equation that the speaker is struggling to solve. They have tried several methods, including De Morgan's law, but are still stuck. After receiving clarification about a missing complement sign, they were able to successfully simplify the equation.
pauliedangerous
could anyone help me with this equation?

[(a' u b') n a'] = a

ive tried the following

[(a n b)' n a'] usng demorgans
[(a' n a') n b] using associative

then stuck and

[(a' n b') u (a' n a')] using distributive
[(a' n b') u a'] using indempotent

then stuck

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does a' mean? I first assumed you meant the complement of a but then [(a' u b') n a'] = a can't be true.

[(a' u b') n a'] can't equal a. Doesn't it equal a'?

teacher just let us know that there was a complement sign missing from the paper that was ment to be on the outside of the square brackets - i got it done ok now its possible

1. What is set algebra?

Set algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets and their relationships. It involves the use of symbols and operations to manipulate sets and determine their properties.

2. What are the basic laws of set algebra?

The basic laws of set algebra include the commutative law, associative law, distributive law, and identity law. These laws govern the relationships between different sets and help in solving problems involving sets.

3. How do I apply the laws of set algebra?

To apply the laws of set algebra, you need to first understand the properties of sets and their relationships. Then, you can use the laws to manipulate sets, simplify expressions, and solve problems.

4. Why are the laws of set algebra important?

The laws of set algebra are important because they provide a systematic way of solving problems and proving theorems involving sets. They also help in understanding the fundamental concepts of sets and their relationships.

5. What are some common applications of set algebra?

Set algebra has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and engineering. It is used in data analysis, database management, and optimization problems. It also forms the basis of other mathematical concepts such as boolean algebra.