Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lawsuit against God dropped

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure that God will be relieved.
  4. Jul 15, 2007 #3

Gold Member

How would damages be claimed? :confused:
  5. Jul 15, 2007 #4
    I think that was why the case was dropped, but the line "is represented in Romania by the Orthodox Church" suggests it was a clever way of suing the church. Not clever enough, but clever.
  6. Jul 15, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What right had Pavel to expect God to listen to him in the first case, except as an abject repentant?

7. Jul 15, 2007 #6
    Wadda scream! Hahaha~
    "God is not subject to law and does not have an address."
    God is not subject to law is an opinion. But that they think God has no address is in my opinion what PF is all about.
    Oh this is funny but I can't begin to enjoy it as much as God must be enjoying this and all.
    Where I come from G-d (whatever G-d is???) has an awe-some sense of humor!!!
  8. Jul 15, 2007 #7
    I didn't think rediculous cases like that existed outside the US.
  9. Jul 15, 2007 #8
    I'm not sure I agree with the court's decision.
  10. Jul 15, 2007 #9
    why not? Lots of countries have judicial branches with liberal practices. In Romania you have the right to sue anyone for anything just like in the US. These kind of cases get dropped all the time. Hell i could sue my high school teacher for negligence for letting the aliens invade if I wanted to, and add one more to the dropped cases tally.
  11. Jul 15, 2007 #10
    I'm afraid God cannot sin any more than he can lie by his own admission in the second case it's just not in his nature, it's in the bible. So God is above the law, he is the law, so don't mess or he'll screw your arse over :smile:

The court of appeal is God and heavens celestial choir, you could try it but I doubt you'll win :biggrin:

God will just cite the Book of Job as precedent, these cases are always non-starters.

Plus there's always the "test not the lord thy God" clause.

We may not test or tempt God. At Massah they tempted the Lord God

Deut 6:16

It's all there in the legal texts. :smile:

Last used by Jesus in the case of the last temptation of Christ(Christ vs Satan) Christ won the case.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  12. Jul 15, 2007 #11
    This issue is not about 'God', but about a marketing scam. The Orthodox Church made promises their product could not deliver. :biggrin:
  13. Jul 15, 2007 #12
    Are you claiming God made promises he could not deliver though that's the point. :smile:
  14. Jul 15, 2007 #13
    Indeed! The case was against the wrong defendant. Poor God is not only beyond the law, he had nothing to do with what the Orthodox Church had been advertising in the first place. God himself never said anything and never made any promise at all to anyone. Whatever the Church has being claiming all those years is at best hearsay and at worst fraud. The culprit is indeed the Church that took it upon itself to speak on God's behalf in his absence, without receiving proper legal authorization to do so. The next legal move must be to file a lawsuit against the Orthodox Church for misrepresentation, false advertising and whatever else a clever lawyer can come up with. To prevent similar problems from recurring in the future, the claimant should also ask the court for an injunction banning them from speaking on God's behalf until they receive direct legal permission from God to do so. :wink:
  15. Jul 15, 2007 #14
    You could make a case in Catholicism, because on certain points of dogma and scriptural tenants, albeit rare ones the Pope is infallible. So his voice is the ultimate word of God. However Orthodox Christianity along with Protestantism rejects papal infallibility so we have a get out of jail free card for the big dawg. Mankind is flawed, God is not and cannot be accountable to man.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  16. Jul 15, 2007 #15
    Can G-d be accountable FOR man?
  17. Jul 15, 2007 #16
    He gave us free will, I'm afraid not, another of those get out of jail free cards, believe me the deck is full of them :smile:
  18. Jul 15, 2007 #17

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wondered why some people thought that there were too many lawyers in the world...:rofl::rofl:
  19. Jul 15, 2007 #18

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fair enough. After all, one can't sue hypothetical characters :tongue:
  20. Jul 16, 2007 #19
    That's the central idea of Christianity.
  21. Jul 16, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No serious religious discussions are allowed here; for or against.

Besides, the only reason God was worried was that if he was sued, he would have to allow lawyers into heaven to plan his defense, and that is never allowed.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?