Lawsuit against God dropped

• Thread starter gabee
  • Start date
In summary, the Romanian man who sued God for "fraud" and "betrayal of trust" for failing to answer his prayers has had his case dismissed in court.
gabee
Bucharest - A Romanian man who sued God for "fraud" and "betrayal of trust" for failing to answer his prayers has had his case dismissed in court, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Mircea Pavel, 40, who is serving 20 years in prison for murder, brought charges against "the defendant God, who lives in the heavens and is represented in Romania by the Orthodox Church," the daily Evenimentul Zilei reported.

He accused God of "fraud, betrayal of trust, corruption and influence peddling."

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=nw20070711160129319C673845

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure that God will be relieved.

How would damages be claimed? :confused:

I think that was why the case was dropped, but the line "is represented in Romania by the Orthodox Church" suggests it was a clever way of suing the church. Not clever enough, but clever.

Mircea Pavel, 40, who is serving 20 years in prison for murder,

What right had Pavel to expect God to listen to him in the first case, except as an abject repentant?

Garth

Wadda scream! Hahaha~
"God is not subject to law and does not have an address."
God is not subject to law is an opinion. But that they think God has no address is in my opinion what PF is all about.
Oh this is funny but I can't begin to enjoy it as much as God must be enjoying this and all.
Where I come from G-d (whatever G-d is?) has an awe-some sense of humor!

I didn't think rediculous cases like that existed outside the US.

I'm not sure I agree with the court's decision.

Physics_wiz said:
I didn't think rediculous cases like that existed outside the US.

why not? Lots of countries have judicial branches with liberal practices. In Romania you have the right to sue anyone for anything just like in the US. These kind of cases get dropped all the time. Hell i could sue my high school teacher for negligence for letting the aliens invade if I wanted to, and add one more to the dropped cases tally.

Moridin said:

I'm afraid God cannot sin any more than he can lie by his own admission in the second case it's just not in his nature, it's in the bible. So God is above the law, he is the law, so don't mess or he'll screw your arse over :smile:

Moridin said:

The court of appeal is God and heavens celestial choir, you could try it but I doubt you'll win :biggrin:

God will just cite the Book of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Job" as precedent, these cases are always non-starters.

Plus there's always the "test not the lord thy God" clause.

We may not test or tempt God. At Massah they tempted the Lord God

Deut 6:16

It's all there in the legal texts. :smile:

Last used by Jesus in the case of the last temptation of Christ(Christ vs Satan) Christ won the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue is not about 'God', but about a marketing scam. The Orthodox Church made promises their product could not deliver. :biggrin:

Are you claiming God made promises he could not deliver though that's the point. :smile:

Moridin said:
This issue is not about 'God', but about a marketing scam. The Orthodox Church made promises their product could not deliver. :biggrin:

Indeed! The case was against the wrong defendant. Poor God is not only beyond the law, he had nothing to do with what the Orthodox Church had been advertising in the first place. God himself never said anything and never made any promise at all to anyone. Whatever the Church has being claiming all those years is at best hearsay and at worst fraud. The culprit is indeed the Church that took it upon itself to speak on God's behalf in his absence, without receiving proper legal authorization to do so. The next legal move must be to file a lawsuit against the Orthodox Church for misrepresentation, false advertising and whatever else a clever lawyer can come up with. To prevent similar problems from recurring in the future, the claimant should also ask the court for an injunction banning them from speaking on God's behalf until they receive direct legal permission from God to do so. :wink:

You could make a case in Catholicism, because on certain points of dogma and scriptural tenants, albeit rare ones the Pope is infallible. So his voice is the ultimate word of God. However Orthodox Christianity along with Protestantism rejects papal infallibility so we have a get out of jail free card for the big dawg. Mankind is flawed, God is not and cannot be accountable to man.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Mankind is flawed, God is not and cannot be accountable to man.

Can G-d be accountable FOR man?

Shoshana said:

He gave us free will, I'm afraid not, another of those get out of jail free cards, believe me the deck is full of them :smile:

I wondered why some people thought that there were too many lawyers in the world...:rofl::rofl:

A Romanian man who sued God for "fraud" and "betrayal of trust" for failing to answer his prayers has had his case dismissed in court, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Fair enough. After all, one can't sue hypothetical characters :tongue:

Shoshana said:
That's the central idea of Christianity.

No serious religious discussions are allowed here; for or against.

Besides, the only reason God was worried was that if he was sued, he would have to allow lawyers into heaven to plan his defense, and that is never allowed.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
No serious religious discussions are allowed here; for or against.

Besides, the only reason God was worried was that if he was sued, he would have to allow lawyers into heaven to plan his defense, and that is never allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post

jimmysnyder
That's the central idea of Christianity.

Thank you.
I meant this as a joke and thought the whole thing was a joke. Religion I thought was a blOOdy joke that was not allowed on this fourm!
This was a screaming good time when it began.

Does anyone think anyone was being serious :biggrin: I'm agnostic, I couldn't of been more tongue in cheek if I tried. :tongue:

Ah, a tongue in cheek is hard to catch on the run. :biggrin:

Everyone takes me more seriously than I take myself. How can they otherwise do?

What is the "Lawsuit against God dropped" all about?

The "Lawsuit against God dropped" refers to a lawsuit that was filed against God in 2007 by a Nebraska state senator, Ernie Chambers. Chambers claimed that God was responsible for causing natural disasters, death, and suffering, and therefore should be held accountable. However, the lawsuit was quickly dismissed by a district judge who stated that a court cannot take jurisdiction over a defendant who is not personally served with court papers.

Why did the senator file a lawsuit against God?

Senator Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit as a means of making a statement about the legal system and its ability to hold individuals accountable for their actions. He believed that if the court could not hold God accountable, then it also could not hold anyone else accountable.

What was the outcome of the lawsuit?

The lawsuit was quickly dismissed by a district judge who stated that the court did not have jurisdiction over God as he was not physically present to be served with the court papers. The judge also noted that the lawsuit was frivolous and a waste of the court's time and resources.

Did this lawsuit have any impact on the legal system?

No, the lawsuit did not have any impact on the legal system. It was dismissed as soon as it was filed and was not taken seriously by the court or the public. It was seen as a publicity stunt by Senator Chambers and did not bring about any changes or precedents in the legal system.

Are there any other instances of lawsuits being filed against God?

There have been other instances of lawsuits being filed against God, but they have all been dismissed for similar reasons. In 2008, a man in Greece filed a lawsuit against God for causing hardships in his life, but the case was dismissed for lack of evidence. Similarly, a man in Ohio filed a lawsuit against God in 2013, but it was also dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction.