Solving for Imax and Energy in an LC Circuit: Homework Help

In summary: I=√((CV2)/L) which = ~ 0.5A. IS this correct? or am i way off?For the third part, think about how the circuit behaves with respect to time (pick one of the variables, either current or voltage).The current will oscillate between the capacitor and inductor.
clamatoman

Homework Statement

4700uF Capacitor is initially charged to 9.0V, then the voltage source is removed and the capacitor is connected across a 1.50H inductor. Solve for: Energy of the Circuit, Imax, and Time after Circuit connected whed Energy of the capacitor =Energy of the inductor

Homework Equations

Imaxmax/√(R2+(2πƒL= (1/2πƒC))
ƒ=1/2π√LC
E=1/2 CV2+ 1/2LI2
Cap discharging
ecf93455f87a5d2a2333b6c27e046b2d.png

Inductor charging
9d9d03dede491e7b8b6bc384943f9b90.png

The Attempt at a Solution

ƒ=1/2π√LC= 1.896Hz

Plugging in 9.0v for ε, 1.9 for ƒ, 4700*10-6 for C and 1.5 for L, and crossing out R since no given resistance...
I come up with Imax=30.95A

E=1/2 CV2+ 1/2LI2
E=720.9

Did i do the first two correctly?
and, not sure about the last part, would i just use
and set that equal to
and solve for t?

Physics news on Phys.org
clamatoman said:

Homework Statement

4700uF Capacitor is initially charged to 9.0V, then the voltage source is removed and the capacitor is connected across a 1.50H inductor. Solve for: Energy of the Circuit, Imax, and Time after Circuit connected whed Energy of the capacitor =Energy of the inductor

Homework Equations

ƒ=1/2π√LC
E=1/2 CV2+ 1/2LI2
Cap discharging

Inductor charging

The Attempt at a Solution

ƒ=1/2π√LC= 1.896Hz

Plugging in 9.0v for ε, 1.9 for ƒ, 4700*10-6 for C and 1.5 for L, and crossing out R since no given resistance...
I come up with Imax=30.95A

E=1/2 CV2+ 1/2LI2
E=720.9

and, not sure about the last part, would i just use
and set that equal to
and solve for t?

Is there any resistor in the circuit?

ehild said:
Is there any resistor in the circuit?
They did not give any information about a resistor or resistance.

clamatoman said:
They did not give any information about a resistor or resistance.
There is no resistance. How does the current in the circuit change with time then?

ehild said:
There is no resistance. How does the current in the circuit change with time then?
Not sure... with these perhaps? https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/1a0fe934407a9109d0b3a8679e9949d1cb8c63f8 Vl(t)=L dIl/dt
Ic(t)=C dVc/dt

although i am not sure how i would get rid of the 'd's...I am little out of my depth with calculus type stuff.

clamatoman said:
Sorry to say, I'm not liking any of it :nb)

For the first part, the energy of the circuit, look at the initial conditions. Where is all the energy stored initially?

For the maximum current, where must all the energy be stored? How much energy?

For the third part, think about how the circuit behaves with respect to time (pick one of the variables, either current or voltage).

Are IC and IL different? The capacitor and the inductor form a single loop.

gneill said:
Sorry to say, I'm not liking any of it :nb)

For the first part, the energy of the circuit, look at the initial conditions. Where is all the energy stored initially?
In the Capacitor.
ok so just U=1/2 CV^2= 1/2 * (4700*10^-6)(9^2) = 0.19?

For the maximum current, where must all the energy be stored? How much energy?
This i am not sure what you mean...

For the third part, think about how the circuit behaves with respect to time (pick one of the variables, either current or voltage).
well the circuit will oscillate current between the capacitor and inductor?

ehild said:
Are IC and IL different? The capacitor and the inductor form a single loop.
IC = IL in a closed loop.

clamatoman said:
IC = IL in a closed loop.
Yes. You have to find how that I depends on time. Your equations in the first post are irrelevant. Use KVL to the loop.

All the energy is initially stored on the capacitor, right? At that time it has its maximum potential difference (voltage).
What condition must obtain for all the energy to be stored on the inductor?

gneill said:
All the energy is initially stored on the capacitor, right? At that time it has its maximum potential difference (voltage).
What condition must obtain for all the energy to be stored on the inductor?
when Voltage of the capacitor is 0?

clamatoman said:
when Voltage of the capacitor is 0?
Yes, what else is true at that time? What can you say about the inductor?

gneill said:
Yes, what else is true at that time? What can you say about the inductor?
If voltage of the capacitor is zero, then so is voltage of the inductor due to KVL?

clamatoman said:
If voltage of the capacitor is zero, then so is voltage of the inductor due to KVL?
Yes, that's true too. What about current?

Let me see if what I am thinking makes sense here for solving current. U=1/2 LI2 for the inductor, U=1/2 CV2 for the capacitor. So does U=U
1/2 CV2 =1/2 LI2 . By doing this and rearrangeing to solve for I i have I=√((CV2)/L) which = ~ 0.5A. IS this correct? or am i way off?

clamatoman said:
Let me see if what I am thinking makes sense here for solving current. U=1/2 LI2 for the inductor, U=1/2 CV2 for the capacitor. So does U=U
1/2 CV2 =1/2 LI2 . By doing this and rearrangeing to solve for I i have I=√((CV2)/L) which = ~ 0.5A. IS this correct? or am i way off?
It is correct. As the circuit oscillates, energy is traded back and forth between the capacitor and the inductor. When the capacitor voltage is at a maximum the current is zero and all the energy is stored in the electric field of the capacitor. When the inductor current is maximum the voltage is zero and all the energy is stored in the magnetic field of the inductor.

And solving for the energy i got U=1/2 CV2= ~0.19J, correct?

Looks good.

so now i just need to solve for time it takes for the capacitor to discharge half of its energy into the inductor...

I think I have it.
Q=CV=0.0423.
ω=1/√LC
Q=Qocos(ωt)
.5Q=Qocos(ωt)
.5=cos(ωt)
cos-1(.5)=(ωt)
t=(cos-1(.5))/ω
t=5.038 seconds

Look Good?

Nope. Charge is not energy. How does the energy stored in a capacitor vary with charge?

gneill said:
Nope. Charge is not energy. How does the energy stored in a capacitor vary with charge?
energy of a capacitor varies with Voltage which is also a factor of charge...
so i need to solve for the voltage of the capacitor when energy is 1/2 of initial energy, then plug that into the charge equation, right?

clamatoman said:
energy of a capacitor varies with Voltage which is also a factor of charge...
so i need to solve for the voltage of the capacitor when energy is 1/2 of initial energy, then plug that into the charge equation, right?
If you work with the voltage for the energy you don't need to consider the charge. Either will do so long as you employ the appropriate expression for energy in terms of either voltage or charge. Or you could look at the inductor instead and work with the current.

gneill said:
If you work with the voltage for the energy you don't need to consider the charge. Either will do so long as you employ the appropriate expression for energy in terms of either voltage or charge. Or you could look at the inductor instead and work with the current.
Well in order to solve for the time I need to use charge to use the Q=Qocos(ωt) and rearrange to solve for time.
so i worked out the math,
my new voltage at 1/2 original energy V=√(2E/C) = 6.36 volts
new charge at 1.2 energy Q=CV= (4700e-6 * 6.36) = 0.0299
initial charge Q=CV=(4700e-6 * 9) = .0423
Q=Qocos(ωt)
t= (cos-1(Q/Qo))/ω
ω=1/√LC
t=(cos-1(.0423/0.0299))/(1/√*(1.5*4700e-6)

t=0.132 seconds?

clamatoman said:
Well in order to solve for the time I need to use charge to use the Q=Qocos(ωt) and rearrange to solve for time.
The voltage follows the same oscillation. You could also have used ##V = V_o cos(\omega t)##
so i worked out the math,
my new voltage at 1/2 original energy V=√(2E/C) = 6.36 volts
If E is the original energy then you'll want to check that formula. You got the correct voltage value, but it's not given by √(2E/C).
new charge at 1.2 energy Q=CV= (4700e-6 * 6.36) = 0.0299
initial charge Q=CV=(4700e-6 * 9) = .0423
Q=Qocos(ωt)
t= (cos-1(Q/Qo))/ω
ω=1/√LC
t=(cos-1(.0423/0.0299))/(1/√*(1.5*4700e-6)

t=0.132 seconds?
You'll want to check that last calculation. You've swapped the two charge values.

gneill said:
The voltage follows the same oscillation. You could also have used ##V = V_o cos(\omega t)##

If E is the original energy then you'll want to check that formula. You got the correct voltage value, but it's not given by √(2E/C).

You'll want to check that last calculation. You've swapped the two charge values.
ok using V=Vocos(ωt)
rearrange and solve t=(cos^-1(6.36/9))/(1/(√1.5 * 4700*10-6)) = 0.066 seconds? does that look right?

clamatoman said:
ok using V=Vocos(ωt)
rearrange and solve t=(cos^-1(6.36/9))/(1/(√1.5 * 4700*10-6)) = 0.066 seconds? does that look right?
Yes. Much better.

Awesome and i plugged it into make sure the time gives me the same Voltage. Looks right to me. Thanks!

1. How do I solve for Imax in an LC circuit?

To solve for Imax in an LC circuit, you can use the formula Imax = Vmax/R, where Vmax is the maximum voltage across the capacitor and R is the resistance of the circuit. You can also use the formula Imax = C * dV/dt, where C is the capacitance of the circuit and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage.

2. How do I calculate the energy in an LC circuit?

To calculate the energy in an LC circuit, you can use the formula E = 1/2 * C * Vmax^2, where C is the capacitance of the circuit and Vmax is the maximum voltage across the capacitor. Alternatively, you can use the formula E = 1/2 * L * Imax^2, where L is the inductance of the circuit and Imax is the maximum current.

3. What is an LC circuit and how does it work?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. When an electric current is passed through the circuit, it charges the capacitor and creates a magnetic field in the inductor. The energy stored in the capacitor and the magnetic field in the inductor oscillate back and forth, resulting in an alternating current.

4. How does the value of capacitance affect the maximum current and energy in an LC circuit?

The value of capacitance in an LC circuit affects the maximum current and energy by determining how much charge the capacitor can hold. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a larger maximum current and more energy stored in the circuit. Conversely, a lower capacitance will result in a lower maximum current and less energy stored in the circuit.

5. Can I use the equations for Imax and energy in an LC circuit for any type of circuit?

No, the equations for Imax and energy in an LC circuit can only be used for LC circuits. Other types of circuits, such as RC circuits or RLC circuits, will have different equations for calculating Imax and energy. It is important to use the correct equations for the specific type of circuit you are working with.