1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LCR circuits - phase difference between C and L

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    I'm writing up a prac that involved LCR circuits.

One part of the prac involved measuring the phase difference between the voltage across the capacitor (V_C) and the inductor (V_L), while the frequency of the input signal was varied.

This was done by measuring the distance between peaks for (V_C) and (V_L) on an oscilloscope.

I got varying values for the phase difference, with a phase difference of zero when the input frequency matched the resonant frequency.

V_C may be expressed as (-1/Cw)I cos wt.

V_L may be expressed as Lw I cos wt.

When looking at these equations, I don't understand why the phase difference depended on the signal's frequency. The way I interpret the equations is that V_C and V_L are permanently 180 degrees out of phase (both being cos of wt, but one negative, the other positive). I can understand that their amplitudes won't always be the same, but it seems to me they should always be 180 degrees out of phase.

Where have I gone wrong in my understanding?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2
    Your equations for the voltages across the capacitor and inductor are over-simplified. The proper equations, in the engineering notation, are (using I(ω) = I0cos ωt)

VC = (+1/jωC) I(ω) = (-j/ωC) I(ω) = (+1/ωC)I0sin ωt

and VL = jωL I(ω) = -ωL I0sin ωt

[Added - Note the 180-degree phase difference between VC and VL]

J is a shorthand operator for the derivative operator j that changes the phase of the current by 90 degrees. so

jsinωt --> +cosωt, and jcos(ωt) --> -sin(ωt).

These are both derived from the basic equations VL = L dIL/dt, and IC = C dVC/dt

Bob S

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook