Create Lead Nitrate - A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter highred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making lead nitrate and potential risks associated with it. The use of nitric acid and lead hydroxide in the reaction is mentioned, as well as alternative methods of obtaining lead nitrate. The potential generation of nitric and nitrous oxide gases during the reaction is also discussed.
highred
lead nitrate?

how can i make lead nitrate by easy way>>>>>>>>>> ,,,,,,,,THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

highred said:
how can i make lead nitrate by easy way>>>>>>>>>> ,,,,,,,,THANKS

What is the context of your question? What do you know about chemical reactions? What chemicals and methods do you have available to you?

Don't. Nitrates are very soluble in water. This would be a very efficient way to poison yourself.

A lead hydroxide compound and sulfuric acid?

Er, nitric acid.

That should work. I think my stoichometry's correct.

Pb(OH)2 + 2HNO3 --> Pb(NO3)2 + 2H2O

Nitric acid should easy to find, but I don't know about lead hydroxide. Again, the lead nitrate is very soluble. You'd need to either use high concentrations of reactants to create a precipitate, do an extraction to another solute, or boil the water away. Also, acid-base reactions are very exothermic.

This dosen't seem to be the best route. What do you want it for anyway?

Yeah, I think we should let the OP come back and post what they are intending to do, before giving too much more help. Thanks.

Pb + 2HNO3 -->H2 + Pb(NO3)2

Or maybe this.

flatmaster said:
Pb + 2HNO3 -->H2 + Pb(NO3)2

Or maybe this.

NOx gasses are generated in when mixing HNO3 and Lead metal, though this procedure does work.

Is the amount of nitric/nitrous oxide generated negligible?

It is not a very vigorous reaction, but it done in sufficient quantities with a concentrated enough acid solution one will easily be able to tell (by the odor and the brownish color) that NO2 is produced.

http://www.chemeddl.org/collections/ptl/PTL/elements/Pb/movies/rxnAcid.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

thank to all friends who they help me > thank you so much

............ Chemistry lover

kldickson said:
Is the amount of nitric/nitrous oxide generated negligible?
Not at all, although at room T the reaction's speed is lower than that with copper (anyway the reaction is exothermic and so the speed increases).

1. What is lead nitrate and what is its purpose?

Lead nitrate is a chemical compound with the formula Pb(NO3)2. It is a white powder that is commonly used in the production of other chemicals, such as lead-based pigments and explosives. It is also used as a raw material for the production of lead oxide, which is used in batteries and other electronic devices.

2. How do you create lead nitrate?

The process of creating lead nitrate involves several steps. First, lead metal is dissolved in nitric acid to form lead nitrate and hydrogen gas. The solution is then filtered to remove any impurities. The lead nitrate is then purified through a series of chemical reactions and crystallization processes. Finally, the crystals are dried and ground into a fine powder for use in various applications.

3. Is it safe to create lead nitrate at home?

No, it is not safe to create lead nitrate at home. The production process involves the use of hazardous chemicals and can be dangerous if not done properly. It is best to leave the creation of lead nitrate to professionals in a controlled laboratory setting.

4. What precautions should be taken when working with lead nitrate?

When working with lead nitrate, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. This chemical is toxic if ingested or inhaled, and can also cause skin and eye irritation. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to dispose of any waste properly.

5. What are the main uses of lead nitrate?

Lead nitrate has a variety of industrial and scientific uses. It is commonly used in the production of pigments, explosives, and lead oxide for batteries. It is also used in the mining industry as a flotation agent to separate minerals from ore. In addition, lead nitrate is used in laboratory experiments and research studies as a source of lead ions.