Simulate Leakage Current - Reverse Bias Diode

In summary, the conversation is about simulating leakage current in a diode using LTSpice. The model should have a parameter Roff that allows for an off resistance to be placed in parallel with the ideal diode. A .net file is needed for the simulation and can be created from LTSpice. The RB411D diode was substituted with another Zener diode, 1N750. To adjust the leakage, the Is parameter can be adjusted. The RB411D is a Schottky rectifier diode, indicated by the subtle difference in schematic symbols.
cheniour oussama
TL;DR Summary
leakage current in a diode with ltspice simulation
hello I m Trying to simulate leakage current, say from a reverse bias diode I'm fairly
how i can do it

Engineering news on Phys.org
cheniour oussama said:
Summary:: leakage current in a diode with ltspice simulation

hello I m Trying to simulate leakage current, say from a reverse bias diode I'm fairly
how i can do it
The model should have a parameter Roff that allows you to put in an off resistance in parallel with the ideal diode.

phyzguy said:
The model should have a parameter Roff that allows you to put in an off resistance in parallel with the ideal diode.
how please
1624131509721.png

It will be in the .model statement which defines the diode model. Do you have the .net file created by LTSpice? It will be a text file which is the input to the SPICE simulator.

no i i have' nt .net file for this circuit but how i can I input the file please ?

Diode_Leakage_Schematic.png

Diode_Leakage_.png

Attached are LTspice .asc and .plt files. Remove the .txt extension so you can run them.
Right click on diode to change model, or Left click over the diode terminal to plot current.

Attachments

• Diode_Leakage_1.asc.txt
    504 bytes · Views: 177
  • Diode_Leakage_1.plt.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 150
Likes cheniour oussama
I don't have that RB411D diode in my version of LTSpice, but I substituted another Zener, 1N750. What you want to do is when you select the diode, you copy the model and paste the model as a .model SPICE directive on the schematic. Then you can edit the model parameters. The easiest way to adjust the diode leakage is to adjust the Is parameter. I did that in this asc file.

Attachments

• Diode_Leakage_2.asc.txt
    678 bytes · Views: 141
The RB411D is a Schottky rectifier diode, not a Zener diode.
Notice the suBtle schematic symbol 'Z' of the Zener cathode, and the 'S' of the Schottky cathode.

Likes DaveE

1. What is leakage current in a reverse biased diode?

Leakage current in a reverse biased diode is the small amount of current that flows in the opposite direction of the intended current flow. This occurs due to minority carriers in the semiconductor material that are able to cross the depletion region and contribute to the current flow.

2. Why is it important to simulate leakage current in reverse biased diodes?

Simulating leakage current in reverse biased diodes is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices. By accurately predicting the amount of leakage current, engineers can design more efficient and reliable circuits.

3. How is leakage current in reverse biased diodes simulated?

Leakage current in reverse biased diodes can be simulated using computer software or specialized equipment. This involves creating a model of the diode and its surrounding circuitry, and then running simulations to determine the amount of leakage current under different conditions.

4. What factors affect the amount of leakage current in reverse biased diodes?

The amount of leakage current in reverse biased diodes can be affected by various factors such as temperature, voltage, and the material properties of the diode. Higher temperatures and higher voltages can increase the amount of leakage current, while using materials with lower defect densities can reduce it.

5. How can leakage current in reverse biased diodes be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce leakage current in reverse biased diodes, including using higher quality materials, optimizing the design of the diode and surrounding circuitry, and implementing techniques such as surface passivation to reduce the number of minority carriers. Additionally, operating the diode at lower temperatures and voltages can also help reduce leakage current.