What are the practical applications of Lesbegue integration?

In summary, the conversation is about measure theory and recommendations for references on the subject. Royden's book is suggested for those with prior knowledge, while "Lebesgue measure on Euclidean space" by Jones is recommended for beginners and those interested in Lebesgue integration.
smirten
hi, i am learing about measure theory and i am looking fore some good reference of the subjects ..

Physics news on Phys.org

smirten said:
hi, i am learing about measure theory and i am looking fore some good reference of the subjects ..

Royden; Real analysis

what applications are you interested in?

Measure theory is a very fun subject, but it can be very hard on beginners. The book of Royden is a wonderful book if you already have some knowledge on the subject and it's philosophy.
For complete beginners, I recommend the beautiful book "Lebesgue measure on Euclidean space" by Jones. It explain conceptually what measure theory is, and it presents a nice selection of exercises!

lavinia said:
Royden; Real analysis

what applications are you interested in?

i am interested about Lesbegue integration...

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and their properties. It provides a framework for understanding how to assign numbers to sets in a consistent and meaningful way.

2. Why is measure theory important?

Measure theory is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of sets in a rigorous and systematic manner. It is used in many areas of mathematics, including probability, analysis, and geometry, and has applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. What are some key concepts in measure theory?

Some key concepts in measure theory include measures, which assign numbers to sets in a consistent way; measurable sets, which are sets that can be assigned a measure; and integration, which allows us to calculate the area or volume of a set using measures.

4. What are the differences between finite and infinite measures?

A finite measure is a measure that assigns a finite number to a set, while an infinite measure assigns an infinite number to a set. In measure theory, we are often interested in studying infinite measures, as they allow us to analyze sets that may have an infinite number of elements.

5. How is measure theory related to probability?

Measure theory is closely related to probability, as it provides a mathematical foundation for understanding and analyzing random events. Probability can be seen as a special case of measure theory, where the measure is the probability of an event occurring. Many concepts in probability, such as expected value and variance, can be defined and studied using measure theory.