Learn Physics: Find the Best Textbook for a Potential Physics Major

• Thread starter swashbucklord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a "teach yourself physics" book that best prepares for a potential physics major. The individual recommended Feynman's Lectures on Physics as it teaches mathematical concepts in a way that is relevant to the physics being taught. They also suggested using Halliday & Resnick as a supplementary text for additional practice.
swashbucklord
I was wondering what your opinions were on which "teach yourself physics" type book was the best overall for a potential physics major. I would really appreciate any help. I am looking for a text that really teaches the mathematical concepts as if it were a real physics course. Thanks in advance for your help.

By the way, i bought Barron's Physics - The Easy Way and have started using it but i only bought it because it was the cheapest one at the store. Any feedback on that book would be really useful as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman's Lectures on Physics.

He teaches the mathematics as he goes along, in his own inimitable way. And he does it in a way that is totally geared to the physics he is teaching. You may feel as if you need more practice with the mathematics to really "do the physics". But it would be perfect for the "first look, teach yourself, real course" route you want. When you come to do the major it will be an endlessly useful supplementary text.

The Feynman Lectures are inspiring, and I would also work the problems in Halliday & Resnick (I like my 4th edition of H&R's Physics, and old editions can be found cheap).

1. What should I consider when choosing a physics textbook for a potential major?

When choosing a physics textbook, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the relevance of the content to the courses you will be taking, and the inclusion of practice problems and solutions.

2. Are there any specific textbooks that are recommended for potential physics majors?

There is no one-size-fits-all textbook for potential physics majors, as different individuals may have different learning styles and preferences. However, some popular textbooks among physics majors include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths.

3. How can I determine the level of difficulty of a physics textbook?

The level of difficulty of a physics textbook can be determined by looking at the prerequisites listed in the book or by reading reviews from other students who have used the textbook. It is also helpful to consult with your professors or academic advisors for their recommendations.

4. Is it necessary to purchase the most recent edition of a physics textbook?

While having the most recent edition of a physics textbook can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Often, older editions have similar content and can be purchased at a lower cost. However, it is important to check with your professor to ensure that you are using the correct edition for your course.

5. Are there any online resources or reviews that can help me choose the best physics textbook?

There are many online resources and reviews available to help you choose the best physics textbook for your needs. Some helpful websites include Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, where you can read reviews from other students and compare different textbooks. Additionally, your university or college may have a list of recommended textbooks for physics majors.