Learn Step-by-Step Linux Shell Scripting for Engineering Applications

In summary, the individual is eager to learn shell scripting for engineering applications on Linux. They are not familiar with any programming languages and are currently executing their custom build software through the terminal. They are interested in learning more about the capabilities of shell scripts for engineering purposes and it is suggested that they invest time in learning a language like python instead. Additionally, a simple bash script can be created to automate the process of executing their software. Various guides are recommended for an introduction to Linux and shell scripting.
Analysis
Hai'
I am new to the Linux os & i am eager to learn shell scripts for my engineering applications.
How to learn step by step any suggestions?

I am not aware any programming languages.

For my immediatiae application is

We have installed custom build software in one particular folder,
exe. file avalible in subfolder file i.e end of 5 sub folder
To execute this software cannot installed icon in desktop so every time by using terminal using change directories command we are executing
also while system boot up license file doesnot intilized automatically has to be given command everyday .Remembering the commands is somewhat uneasy.

Beyond this what all are the applications we can do by using linux shell scripts?I am engineering backround so i want to see any my engineering applications can i utlize?

Thanks
Prakash

Computer science news on Phys.org
Linux Bash scripting is pretty powerful in the realm of system administration and automating system tasks. If you wish to learn some sort of scripting language geared toward engineering and scientific computing in general; I suggest that you invest your time in learning a language like python instead.

We have installed custom build software in one particular folder,
exe. file avalible in subfolder file i.e end of 5 sub folder
To execute this software cannot installed icon in desktop so every time by using terminal using change directories command we are executing
also while system boot up license file doesnot intilized automatically has to be given command everyday .Remembering the commands is somewhat uneasy.
You can pretty much pack all those requirements into one script file:
1) Load license file
2) Change to directory where binary executable is.
3) And finally run it.

A bash script for this task would be fairly simple to make. Basically a bash script is a file that contains a list of commands in the order you'd like them to be executed.

As simple bash script would be like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "hello, $USER"
echo "Listing files in  $PWD"
ls -al
Line one tells the system that this file should be run as a bash script.
Lines two and three are basically printing messages to the stdout.
Line four it the command that needs to be executed.

So all you need to do in mod the above script and place what ever commands you usually type.

All the guides you'll need for an introduction to Linux and shell scripts
http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

1. What is Linux Shell Scripting?

Linux Shell Scripting is a process of writing and running command-line scripts on a Linux operating system. It involves using a shell, which is a command-line interface, to automate tasks and perform various operations on a computer system.

2. What are the benefits of learning Linux Shell Scripting?

Learning Linux Shell Scripting can provide several benefits for engineers, such as automating repetitive tasks, improving efficiency, and performing complex operations with ease. It also allows for better control and customization of the Linux system, making it a valuable skill for engineers working with Linux-based applications.

3. Is prior programming experience necessary to learn Linux Shell Scripting?

While prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn Linux Shell Scripting. The basics of Linux Shell Scripting can be easily learned and applied by anyone with a basic understanding of the Linux command line.

4. How can Linux Shell Scripting be used in engineering applications?

Linux Shell Scripting can be used in a variety of engineering applications, such as automating data analysis, running simulations, and managing large datasets. It can also be used to create custom tools and programs for specific engineering tasks.

5. Where can I learn Linux Shell Scripting for engineering applications?

There are several resources available for learning Linux Shell Scripting, including online tutorials, books, and courses. Many universities also offer courses specifically focused on using Linux Shell Scripting for engineering applications. It is also possible to learn through hands-on practice and experimentation with the Linux command line.