1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Least action principle for a free relativistic particle (Landau)

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    Reading the Landau's "The classical theory of fields" (chapter 2, section 9 ) I have some doubts in explaining the steps in derivig the formula for the variation of the action for the relativistic free particle http://books.google.it/books?id=QIx...age&q="to set up the expression for"&f=false". Given the invariant element of measure:

[tex]ds=\sqrt{dx_idx^i}[/tex]

where [tex] x^i [/tex] ( [tex] x_i [/tex] ) are the four contravariant (covariant) coordinates which parametrize the world line of the free particle, I have to vary respect [tex] x^i [/tex], that is I make the variation [tex] \delta x^i [/tex]. So my doubts are about the second step of the formula before the 9.10, that is why:

[tex]\delta(ds)=\frac{d x_i \delta d x^i}{ds}[/tex]

is obtained, instead of (IMH and erroneous O):

[tex]\delta(ds)=\frac{d x_i \delta d x^i}{2 \cdot ds}[/tex]

???

Can someone be so kind to show me the steps?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is [itex] \delta \left(x_{i}x^{i}\right) = ? [/itex]

4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    It should be:

[tex]\delta (x_i x^i) = \delta (c^2t^2-r^2) = 2 (c^2 t \delta x^0 - r \delta x^i[/tex])

but, sorry, I don't get the point... that is... should I calculate

[tex]\delta (dx_i dx^i)[/tex]

?

5. Dec 16, 2009 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "d" in the brackets is not important. That 2 you have obtained in front cancels the one in the denominator, thus giving you the final expression from Landau's book.

6. Dec 16, 2009 #5
    thx for the moment. I hope to need no more help in covariant variation calculus... ;-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook