Least action principle for a free relativistic particle (Landau)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
provolus
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Reading the Landau's "The classical theory of fields" (chapter 2, section 9 ) I have some doubts in explaining the steps in derivig the formula for the variation of the action for the relativistic free particle http://books.google.it/books?id=QIx...age&q="to set up the expression for"&f=false". Given the invariant element of measure:

[tex]ds=\sqrt{dx_idx^i}[/tex]

where [tex]x^i[/tex] ( [tex]x_i[/tex] ) are the four contravariant (covariant) coordinates which parametrize the world line of the free particle, I have to vary respect [tex]x^i[/tex], that is I make the variation [tex]\delta x^i[/tex]. So my doubts are about the second step of the formula before the 9.10, that is why:

[tex]\delta(ds)=\frac{d x_i \delta d x^i}{ds}[/tex]

is obtained, instead of (IMH and erroneous O):

[tex]\delta(ds)=\frac{d x_i \delta d x^i}{2 \cdot ds}[/tex]

?

Can someone be so kind to show me the steps?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be:

[tex]\delta (x_i x^i) = \delta (c^2t^2-r^2) = 2 (c^2 t \delta x^0 - r \delta x^i[/tex])

but, sorry, I don't get the point... that is... should I calculate

[tex]\delta (dx_i dx^i)[/tex]

?
 
The "d" in the brackets is not important. That 2 you have obtained in front cancels the one in the denominator, thus giving you the final expression from Landau's book.
 
thx for the moment. I hope to need no more help in covariant variation calculus... ;-)