1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least Square Solution(zeros in one row)

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give a least squares solution to Ax=C and give the residual error

A=
    -1, 1, 2;
    1, -1, 0;
    1, -1, 2;

C=
    -1;
    -1;
    2;

2. Relevant equations

Residual Error= |Ax-C|

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have done an RREF on the Transpose of A times A augmented with the Transpose of A time C and got this:
    1, -1, 0, 2/3;
    0, 0, 1, 1/4;
    0, 0, 0, 0;

I'm not sure what I should do about the bottom row... I know that SHOULD be always an LSQ but it doesnt seem to come out. I know that bottom row indicates an infinite amount of solutions but not sure how to proceed next. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    Does anyone have any clue????

If it helps, I tried to set the third variable as a number and first and second as equations in terms of each other (i.e 1st in terms of 2nd).

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

I presume this is a linear algebra class and you've learned about rank and rank deficiency. Is A full rank?

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4
    not in precise terms...I know the columm space of A is 3x2. I looked up rank in wikipedia...

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5

hotvette

Homework Helper

I suggest you look at the 2nd equation. What does that tell you? Then, look at the 1st equation. It may help to write them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook